another quick "should I buy it" (head gasket)

DT175 1978
This post is 4045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, I've had trouble finding quality head gaskets on eBay... I finally broke down and called my local Yamaha dealer, who said he can order me one direct from Yamaha.

It would be the Yamaha authorized direct replacement... he couldn't tell me much about who actually manufactures it, or exactly what it's made of. He said it should be the same size and materials as the original - basically, best available.

I assume it would be the same one available through "yamahapartshouse.com" - that site brings up a part # 1W2-11181-00-00 which is what I think I would recieve.Link: http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50041a8af8700209bc7858e1/crankcase-cylinder

The only picture I could find of that part number online is on a completed eBay auction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Yamaha-Cylinder-Head-1-Gasket-MX175-DT175-More-1W2-11181-00-00-NEW-NOS-/321130642303?nma=true&si=EXs%2Bh65nTyRX9ZZCSwKj%2BLmVP2g%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price my Yamaha dealer quoted me, while not great, is something I could live with. You guys think I'd be alright with whatever it is that my local dealer would source for me (from Yamaha)?

With no help, I'd probably just order it up and run with it.... but I just want to check with you more experienced folks.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi 78" i usually aneal the old copper gasket, by super heat to cherry red , then dump in water,,,, :yeah:

Genuine yamaha gaskets are only £7 at Granby motors

Doesnt help if youre in the USA though, sorry, just realised

Okay - another question or two.

After doing some research online... now I've got even more questions... :shakeno:

My manual (from 1983) says to take the new gasket out of the package, put grease on both side of the gasket, and torque to 18 ft/lbs

The internet says: take the new gasket out of the package, anneal it, put aluminum paint or copper gasket sealer on it, torque it 18 ft/lbs, 100 miles later re-torque it.

SO... do I anneal a brand new gasket? Do I grease it, paint it, what?

Is there an FAQ I can refer to for this?

:eusa_think:

new from the pack can be fitted straight on there with a thin layer of grease. Only a used one would need to be annealed.

Did you test it with a magnet?

do this and if it's copper you could anneal it and use it again...this goes for the original one as well

new from the pack can be fitted straight on there with a thin layer of grease. Only a used one would need to be annealed.

Did you test it with a magnet?

do this and if it's copper you could anneal it and use it again...this goes for the original one as well

Haven't checked the old one with a magnet yet, but I will. Thanks again for all of your help. (and for your patience with me)

I'm getting a pretty good idea of what things I need to do next, and I've got some work to do, so I better get some work done.

I'll come back and post up again if I run into any specific questions, or to report back on how things worked out for me.

-Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online