1999 DT125R DE031 ignition without battery

MikeyS
This post is 4045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi - new here so apologies for probably repeating an old topic....

Just bought my son a DT in pieces to use as a field bike. Having put it back together, the wiring loom has clearly been modified/butchered and the bike must have been running without a battery...assuming it was running previously. Having connected the obvious items such as magneto outputs to cdi, cdi to coil and rectifier to cdi, the engine will generate a spark but not multiple sparks.

The wiring diagram I've found for this model is short of detail so not much help..

I'm an engineer in the motor racing industry so should be able to work this out eventually, but any quick answers from experience would be gratefully received!

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK mike someone with your knowlage should be able to fig this out,but on this site we like peeps to say hello first and then post???'s later.Only polite to do so you know,otherwise most won't help,this is a club NOT A FIX ON DEMAND site,good bunch around here and a welth of knowlage shared between members.

• Like 1

no worries though man. i'm sure someone with some electrical knowledge will be able to help out (it's obviously not me). and we're always glad when folk stick around. :)

Cheers. It turned out to be a really easy fix...I'd over-estimated the complexity of the Yamaha ignition system :)

Bike looked like fun for 10 mins until the water pump packed up! Luckily we were able to get new parts pretty quickly so all good again...

Ok so what was wrong? posting it might help someone else who finds themself in the same boat.

One of the coils on the stator had very high resistance, and as that particular unit is the feed for the CDI main capacitor, seemed a fair bet. So swapped coil, sorted some other wiring disasters - poor earths and suchlike, then all good.

At least, until the water pump packed up....impeller had fallen off the driveshaft. That all sorted, it was great until the rear tyre came off the rim! Think a YZ rear rim is next... :)

See mike I was right all along I just knew you had the type of brains to get through it,, you just needed a kick in the ass to sort it yourself glad I could be of service :tounge:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online