Pilninggas's 2013 run to the Western Alps

pilninggas
This post is 3860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just done another stint in the Alps. I opted this year to do a little more exporation of the Western Alps, as well as riding over the Jura Mountains, something i'd not done before. All told just over 3700 miles.

Itinerary:

Day 1: Bristol to Freiburg.
Day 2: Ride along the Vosges, Route de ballon from Mulhouse to Selestat.
Day 3: Transit to Lausanne, via the high Jura, over the Col du Chatteral (nice route).
Day 4: Chill out in Lausanne, swim in Lac Leman.
Day 5: Ride from Lausanne to Brig. Taking in JaunPass, Interlaken. Afternoon riding Grimsel, Furka, Oberalp and Susten [doubling back around for the hell of it].
Day 6: Brig to Albertville, via the slow roads of CH (i'm too tight to buy a swiss vignette), taking in the Col du Forclaz, Col de Aravis, Cole de la Croix, Col du Merais. Get to Albertville to find weld on givi rack has broken. Find a Corroserie who can fix it, but they tell me I have to wait a couple of days.
Day 7: Albertville chill out.
Day 8: Still in Albertville givi rack fixed and repainted.
Day 9: Albertville to Gap; Cormet de Roseland (+blast up to the summit of Col du Petit St Bernard), Col de L'Iseran (stunning, highest pass in the Alps), Col du Telegraphe and Col du Galibier (best views in the French Alps.
Day 10: Gap to Menton (F-I border). Morning Ride the Route de Napoleon including the Col du Pilon (a fast A road). Afternoon Cannes to Menton, along the coast (Cote d'Azore) stopped in Monaco to retrace the Grand Prix circuit - How the hell do they fit it in, it's amazing!
Day 11: Menton to Bormio. Morning across the low plateau in western Italy (bloody hot) then around Milan and past Lake Como, up into the Alps again and onto Bormio (500kms and only 20 of it motorway).
Day 12: Bormio to Garmisch-Partenkirchen; over Stelvio pass, Reschen pass and Hanntenjoch before lunch in Fussen and then onto Garmisch. Camped with some Geordies and had Schweineshax'n in the town.
Day 13: Garmisch to Echternach. 1/2 on the Autobahn, 1/2 across the Swabian Alps.
Day 14: Stay camping in Echternacherbruck; but ride across the Eifel Mountains to the Rhine valley and down the valley Koblenz, Remagen and Bonn. Evening at Touristfahrten Norschleife Nurburgring (lap of the ring on the Fazer.
Day 15: Echternach to home; Early AM ride up Mullertal to Esch sur Sure (Petit Suisse) then onto regional roads to Mons, then motorway to home via channel tunnel.

Great stuff, French Alps are a surprise; maybe not quite as rideable as the Austrian and Italian Alps, but still sensational.

SUNP0123.jpg
SUNP0122.jpg
SUNP0117.jpg
SUNP0111.jpg
SUNP0108.jpg
SUNP0104.jpg
SUNP0103.jpg
SUNP0102.jpg
SUNP0101.jpg
SUNP0099.jpg
SUNP0098.jpg
Day 13

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Crikey Mervyn I swear your pics surpass you usual high standards this year, many in your group?

so is the sign 'Les Arses' on the staff room door now haha.

Looks cold on the tops, still snow around who'd have thought it

Thanks for posting them mate

Wow! Stunning! What a beautiful trip. :)

WOW Ive seen picts before and definatly on my bucket list of thing's to do Now more than ever.

Just wondering could you see all the way around the guy(guessing monks) floating above the other and how long did they stay that way? you know no wires of trickery? That would be something to see.

WOW Ive seen picts before and definatly on my bucket list of thing's to do Now more than ever.

Just wondering could you see all the way around the guy(guessing monks) floating above the other and how long did they stay that way? you know no wires of trickery? That would be something to see.

Haha.

They have a steel, collapsible struture that goes up the inside of the 'pole'. The bottom buy sits on a plate and the top guy on a bicycle seat.

There's no transcendental magic involved - but cool though.

Brill trip merv,,,,,,,,, mabey next year ill be able to go with you,,,,,this year sucked for me.

Had you a new back tyre on before leaving ? and what kinda % is left on it now.

Bike looks good and I like your GEL SEAT ??

PM me how much this all cost you roughly, please,,, so I know for next year what I need

Pat

Brill trip merv,,,,,,,,, mabey next year ill be able to go with you,,,,,this year sucked for me.

Had you a new back tyre on before leaving ? and what kinda % is left on it now.

Bike looks good and I like your GEL SEAT ??

PM me how much this all cost you roughly, please,,, so I know for next year what I need

Pat

Pat, you'd be more than welcome to come, I am sorry your year has sucked.

The back tyre had 1000 miles on it when I left - it was knackered when i got back. But it was one of those £100/pair jobs and I got another rear for £60 on friday (as I want to use the bike this week). After doing the Ring the edges were blued, ripped and fried.

No gel seat, just a different cover. I cope okay with long days in the saddle.

Total cost was about £900.

• 1 month later...

Ace pics merv " the pic of the fort gate" is that Verdun ? or the Imagenre line some where,,? shudda brought that sign home an stuck it on parliment Buildings,,, :babyha:

Ace pics merv " the pic of the fort gate" is that Verdun ? or the Imagenre line some where,,? shudda brought that sign home an stuck it on parliment Buildings,,, :babyha:

The fort is at Venthon in the Beaufortain (near Albertville) - it was very high up; maybe 5500ft.

Brilliant pics Merv what a fantastic trip would love to do something like that but no chance now they've put the lottery up to £2 a line.

Some great pics there! "If I can dream" as someone once sang'

Don't think I'll try it on my 125!