950 Grinding footboards

Bobstar950
This post is 3880 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Don't know if this has been mention on here before but there is a fairly simple solution to this.

Undo the 3 100m nuts. Lift the back of the board and shim it out by a couple of millimetres (between the board and the hanger rear of the top nut). Tighten the nuts, being careful to not over-tighten. Think it heightens the back by about 15mm.

Did this and I didn't scrape the boards once, even though I was riding with a passenger.

BTW. nothing wrong with sticking the pre-load to the top. It doesn't affect the stiffness noticeably, just the ride height.

• 5 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm just about to buy a XVS950, and been reading about the dragging footboards.

I've been searching the web for ages looking for a cure.

I was wondering about just lifting them up a bit would work.

This is the first post I've come across with the same idea

I know it's an old post (Aug 2013) and no replies

Has no one else done this mod?

This mod seems like a plan, surprised there hasn't been any other posts with similar ideas.

Well none that I've found anyway...

Dog

Do people *really* have that much trouble with these??!!

I must have scraped my Draggie pegs less than half a dozen times (both sides, that is) in all the years I had her... I'd advise ditching the boards for pegs, if that's the case!!

Does this mod affect the foot controls at all, Bob?

few months ago I lower my bike, 2,14 inches... and I still don`t hit the ground... and I don`t sleep on the road. if you like race, don`t buy a xvs 950. maybe a sport or v-max is better than xvs950

theoretically, you can move the footboards with the controls (gears, brake) max 1 cm. on brake side a bit more and you with touch the pipe, you don`t want this, and in other side you will hit the engine with gear lever (I think this is the name).. also you don`t want this.

I see no reason in trying up the footboards but this is just my poor opinion. you have another option if you really want do this, search and buy or make a upper (hope this is correct word) for rear suspension, and put your suspension in position 9.

the reason on XVS950 have lower footboards is not the footboards, is the build of the bike, lower suspension on back. look at distance between frame and ground. if you don`t find any picture, i will try make some tomorrow.

if you still think the footboards are to down, up your front fork.. at the end you will have the most heavy offroad bike. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online