dt athena 170 still no spark

ahaywood93
This post is 3860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i was told by a actual bike mechanic that his tested my generator and thats giving off the right readings and his checked all the wiring, earths, kill switch and side stand switch, his tested the coil even though i had only just had a new one on and thats fine then pretty much the only thing he couldnt test was the cdi but everythink else i can think of was fine so i ordered a cdi friday from elf england £239 not bad it came today and it still not sparking i cant think what else it can be

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This might sound silly but is the coil grounded and has power,it won't work unles it is.

at this point you have to go backwards and find what you did wrong The proper way is to follow the flow chart in the manual.

1st is to replace spark plug ( i'm sure you tried that)

2nd is to check every connection in the ignition system.

3 engine stop switch'and clutch saftey open and closes(test with a multi meter set on ohms scale,will have minimal resistance in run and infinate off)

4 Check coil ( done as you have a new one)

5 Check pick up coil and charging coils (Pick up coil sends signal to cdi to time the spark,no signal =no spark charge coil gives the juice)

6check netural switch

If all the above is good then and only then the cdi is at fault.

Sounds like step 2 has been over looked or the netural switch,possibly when rebuilding the motor you buggered it. Will it crank ove with the starter? And did it before rebuilding?

• 2 weeks later...

As already mentioned, check the kill switch, mine always gets stuck and I have to bang it on and off a few times, then the bike will start...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online