What year Yamaha DTR 125?

mattevans46
This post is 3847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, I'm a budding motorcycle enthusiast at only 17, haha. I'm looking to buy the great DTR 125 as I've done my CBT and I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from them! However, being a young guy looks on a bike is slightly important, this bike will be used to learn a lot from and shall be used off road regularly. The 2004 model of the DTR is the most eye-catching for me personally, however I have read they only have an electric start and are difficult to de-restrict, which I hope to get done.

So my question is which model/year of DTR, in your opinion, is the best?

If I do get an older model before the 2004 models then some modifications will take place, such as: Break light/fender, the plastic that hides the exhaust, headlight and mudguard. As well de-restriction.

As I said this bike will be to learn and gain experience from, so no doubt there will be some falls and scrapes but the bike will be loved and looked after with the greatest of care.

Any advice, tips or information is welcomed,

Many thanks,

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all, I'm a budding motorcycle enthusiast at only 17, haha. I'm looking to buy the great DTR 125 as I've done my CBT and I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from them! However, being a young guy looks on a bike is slightly important, this bike will be used to learn a lot from and shall be used off road regularly. The 2004 model of the DTR is the most eye-catching for me personally, however I have read they only have an electric start and are difficult to de-restrict, which I hope to get done.

So my question is which model/year of DTR, in your opinion, is the best?

If I do get an older model before the 2004 models then some modifications will take place, such as: Break light/fender, the plastic that hides the exhaust, headlight and mudguard. As well de-restriction.

As I said this bike will be to learn and gain experience from, so no doubt there will be some falls and scrapes but the bike will be loved and looked after with the greatest of care.

Any advice, tips or information is welcomed,

Many thanks,

Matt

go for the re mate i have it and my bro has the 2000 dtr-pulls like a train mind u! but i like my bike better seems alot lighter of itself and e/s is handy to have and no they are not hard to de-resrict just 1 cable and set the powervalve . and if you upgrade the exhaust system u might have to up jet and i would reccomened a aftermarket exhaust for defo(dep) looks well and sounds quality too- and alot lighter than the stock pipe. will let u wheelie a bit easier without the extra weight :hyper:

ps-dont get me wrong the dtrs are the dogs but i just like the new shape of the re feels a bit more mx -ish too (with hob nobs on) :eusa_shifty:

Haha, thanks for the advice man, much appreciated! I too definitely prefer the 2004 model, looks sleeker than the pre 04 models! Will the electric start be a problem in the winter? I will be riding this bike year round! Have you done much off road work with the bike?

Cheers

Haha, thanks for the advice man, much appreciated! I too definitely prefer the 2004 model, looks sleeker than the pre 04 models! Will the electric start be a problem in the winter? I will be riding this bike year round! Have you done much off road work with the bike?

Cheers

never had a problem with the electric start except leaving the key in once drained the battery! and the bikes kept garaged all year round so free from frost-cold..

yea ive done quiet a bit of green-laneing mountains woods ect with her she does well i must say with a pair of ac10s on. clocked nearly 4 thousand mile on the gasket piston rings i replaced,so yea holds her own for a 2stroke was wary myself at firs but nothink but good reports on them. on and off road that is, ive drove to the coast a few times hour long journey each way and cruzed the beach while there. i park this thing right at the entrance of shops when going into town saves me parking in the car and walking up town on a mission!the bikes great can get me anywere all year anyweather rain hail snow- ice is not to good lol ..

but yea its my first road bike and ive alway rode mx bikes best of both with these not quiet as fast but that powerband is deadly for a 125 road bike dont expect a yz or anythink but u will have heaps of fun pal! :headbang:

By the sounds of it sounds brilliant! Would you recommend the 04 model or pre 04 models for a first time 17 year old on L plates? I love the 04 looks. But is it on par, performance wise with the the pre 2004 models, like the 1999, 2000 models, I've heard they can pull like crazy! I just want a bike I can drop without getting heart broken that I did drop it and can take a bit of a beating off roads!

Haha as you can see I'm having a bit of a dilemma of what year to pick! From what I've read the RE isn't quite as nippy, like you said compared to the R's!

I really really appreciate your input though man, you have been a great help, cheers again

By the sounds of it sounds brilliant! Would you recommend the 04 model or pre 04 models for a first time 17 year old on L plates? I love the 04 looks. But is it on par, performance wise with the the pre 2004 models, like the 1999, 2000 models, I've heard they can pull like crazy! I just want a bike I can drop without getting heart broken that I did drop it and can take a bit of a beating off roads!

Haha as you can see I'm having a bit of a dilemma of what year to pick! From what I've read the RE isn't quite as nippy, like you said compared to the R's!

I really really appreciate your input though man, you have been a great help, cheers again

to be honest mate u should be happy with any bike to learn on. both dts are great but the re for me off road is alot mot fit for it -as i said lighter( dont no how much but getting onto the older dtr feels a bit of a tank after getting off the re can chuck it around a bit more for enduro type of rideing.., but yea i wanna no why them models 99 00 are so quick dont half pull ya arms lol but top end im at the top of the clock same as the dtr just the powerband seem deady sharp :eusa_think:

Looking over what you said, I'm pretty much in love with the RE, I'm pretty sure overall it'll be the bike that I want to get!

u will be over the moon if you get one mate great bikes- :spin2:

and being a small trailbike it is extremely stealable so watch where you park it and never take your eyes of it for long! :(

tell me about it my steering lock isnt functioning right either must get a look see whats up with it-like i say i ride mine right to were i need to go lol and will not leave it more than ten minuets constantly get comments about it off youth eyeing it up (little cunts)lol esp if you mx style it some folk ask me if its a yz :hah:

I'll be using this bike for college runs so it will be left alone in the middle of a city college for 5 hours! I'm gonna have the thickest motherf*cking chain and disc lock money can buy haha! Still pretty much set on the RE but still want to know more about the 99 and 00 models! Any ideas on where to ask? I'm VERY new here! :jossun:

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online