dt175mx should i restore??

spot1
This post is 4056 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,i bought my mx 14years ago with 1k miles on the clock,since then i have only used her for a quick trip down memory lane once in a blue moon and she now has 1700miles but is starting to look tired.I am getting tempted to start getting a few bits blasted and painted but feel i may ruin the bikes originality,she has never been apart and is 100% standard.What do you guys think.

Ps any way to put pics on here??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

She looks better in the pics but to be fair it is mainly the paint that lets her down swingarm,bars,exhaust , tank ect.What i am worried about is if i do them it will be out of keeping with the rest of the bike and make the rest look tatty if that makes sense.

210_zpsbc1fe032.jpg

211_zps63a0f338.jpg

212_zps4d65130d.jpg

006_zpse8f7d5ae.jpg

I would do those if the rest is good, to me they are letting the rest down now, the exhaust is an absolute must do on a regular basis...you just can get those any longer...you probably know this but Plast-kote BBQ (from wilkinsons) is the stuff to use but it's best cured if you are able to do that

Plasti kote BBQ paint

100_0836.jpg

My swingarm, I did this earlier this year just with rattle can...better than original with zinc primer, original didnt have any primer at all to my knowlege!

Copyof102_2630.jpg

Copyof102_2643.jpg

The best paitn job I saw in blue was the one forum member ventura had done, it really was a cracking job...look for his posts here

up to you though

Great link thanks,i am sure i still have a few spares for these in a store i have including a spare tank and side panels in white so if they are still good i may look into having them painted but they have been there for close to 20 years.Would it be ok to get the exhaust blasted before i paint it or is that a bit harsh.

when I do an exhaust I usually just sand down the worst parts and treat the bare metal with jenolite to cure the rust, generally this tends to be the header pipe section which gets the hottest and has the most water thrown at it, you dont have to remove all the paint if it's sound, just key it a little with 240 wet/dry paper. Yes I think blasting can be a bit harsh especially with a coarse grit...I would tend not to unless its a fine grit.