Valve shim tool

drewpy
This post is 3977 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Doing my valves next week and wondered if anyone has a valve shim tool that they can lend me?

looks like this

TLS058.JPG

cheers

drewps

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm alittle far away to ship it back and forth ,but I made my own out of a piece of 1/4 in plate steel.Not to hard to make just need torches to heat up the steel to bend it then a bench grinder to shape it. . Before I seen that type of tool I used to roll th motor over till the valve was open then wedge a piece of steel between the cam and lifter bucket edge( sort of looked like a ? so it wouldn't pop back out) then roll the motor over to get the shim out a bit of a PITA but worked.

Hope someone closer can help good luck.

Measure the shims, work out the clearances then take the cam out, its quicker in the long run.

Measure the shims, work out the clearances then take the cam out, its quicker in the long run.

yes thats prob a good way to go

They do them here http://www.motoward.co.uk/valve-adjust-tool-p-2054.html and looking at the description they are the Genuine Yamaha ones not the motion pro ones. I,ve ordered a lot of parts from them and they send them out pretty quick.

Tony

they are pretty cheap, but I would only use it the once. I have some thick angle iron here so I could make one too :eusa_think:

thanks for the ideas guys