Leaking fuel tank

mcferreira100
This post is 4004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Damn..put some fuel in after painting tank..fuel pouring out of small hole in tank seam. Will try sealing with pratley steel quickset glue. Means removing paint in that area..@#$%.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Damn..put some fuel in after painting tank..fuel pouring out of small hole in tank seam. Will try sealing with pratley steel quickset glue. Means removing paint in that area..@#$%.

Wont work. The tank is compromised your only option is to seal it with, and this is important. An ethanol proof lining treatment.

Anything else and you will be chasing leaks as the metal has been damaged by water and ethanol.

The upside is the paint will be fine save the current leak spot.

Bit late seeing your replies..I`ve applied epoxy steel...box says can repair leaks..although fuel might be a problem. I`ll keep you posted..will allow to dry overnight and test tmorow.

xpq8.jpg

Bit late. You only posted it at 11.

That will leak.

Been there done it. It will also leak again elsewhere. You really are wasting your time.

The problem with rusty/leaking tanks is the rest of it will the same, what you did is really a temporary repair but you should be on the look out for a decent replacement and POR15 it strait away.

Eesh..So welding it also wont help. Will see tomorrow otherwise will have to investigate how I can do the lining option. Strange no leaks before I took a electric wire brush to it.,must have poked a hole.

Steel that has rusted in situ firming small pinholes blocked by rust.

The paint prep will have cleaned them out. Por 15 or similar ethanol proof sealer will permanantly fix it.

I had to do the tank on my tdr. I could not risk the paint on that either as it was mint and original.

Put some fuel in..so far no leaking..will keep an eye on it.

• 1 month later...

Still no leaks. So far so good.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online