ugly number plate

beemer328
This post is 4039 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

They want BIG plates in UK, so the speed camera"s can clock you, :eusa_doh: 9x7 inch is legal. if you go down to say 8x6 , you may not get noticed,--- but def not 7x5. :eusa_snooty:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my vfr400 had a cable operated flip plate, kind of cool but def not worth the risk of getting pulled over and someone noticing it, small risk but could end up in big trouble

or on a rediclus angle so almost only seen from above all of these methods will surely get you pulled over sooner or later.

HAHAHAHHA thats how i did my plate on my xt125, but as it is an enduro style bike i always planned on saying i had just been off road and dropped the bike- must have bent the bracket..... :eusa_whistle:

You could, by law, have a small number plate, even a 7x5. Providing you have enough cash to throw on a 2-3 letter/number personalised number plate, A 1 or F 1 for instance :P. As already mentioned in this thread, it's all to do with the sizing of the letters and numbers and that 9x7 is standard because a standard registration number usually comes out to that size. Unless it contains 1s which is the only number to not have the size restrictions required by all other letters and numbers. So you might legally be able to trim the plate a bit.

The plate on my WR is standard and it does have a slight angle. Not so bad that I'd get stopped but if I do, I'll just say it's so that police helicopters could easily identify me :D.

I have re-checked my plate, it is legal size and the margin is more than 11mm, I think its maybe that the surround makes it less in your face.

So my original answer stands, If you don't want to be pulled then your option is to stick with a legal one.

• 3 weeks later...

my plate is legal size 9 x 7

it has a 1 in the reg an the side margins are more than 11mm if I trimmed it so the margins were exactly 11mm does this mean its still legal

according to a google search the side margins must be 11mm miniium

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online