DT175 blowing bulbs

mcferreira100
This post is 4058 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Took the bike for bit of a run..on the way back noticed indicators not working anymore or headlight bulb. I have not done anything with wiring yet only replaced bulbs not working. Some wiring was missing when I got it so no battery wiring in place yet, no fuses and no loom to rear lights. Indicators were working when I got it so just replaced headlight bulb and neutral/2 stroke idiot bulbs. Should I replace voltage regulator/rectifier before it blows more bulbs?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the regulator and rectifier are different units..

The regulator is an AC regulator and will stop the headlamp bulb from blowing, it does not stop any of the other lamps from blowing...a good battery looks after the rest of the bulbs

So if no battery connected it puts bulbs at risk of blowing?

Don`t see a regulator on Yambits..only a rectifier..also not in parts book, although I do see it on the circuit diagram. Can you tell me what`s the difference between the two and what does this thing look like..where does it sit?

Its an aluminium casting with cooling fins on the surface

mine is on the back of the battery compartment behind tha chainguard so therefore it has a black chassis return wire from one of the mounting bolts. It has a yellow/white wire attached to it

Ok..I`ve seen this sitting there. Do you think they will be the same on 79 and 80 models?

even if they are not the same they will do the same job providing you mount it correcty with a black wire on a ring terminal to the mounting screw.

The difficulty may be...removing the screws. Because it's in a wet area and the screws will rust into the flimsy mouting bracket which may start to bend if you are over zealous trying to undo them...penetrating oil and caution would be the order of the day.

They are very reliable...obvious faults are

The yellow wire snaps where it meets the body of the regulator

The epoxy fill may be bulging out the back of the unit

either of these will render the unit as trash but if none of this is evident I'd check the bracket is securely connected to black...ie battery negative

For many years I have used an alternative version as fitted to DT50 and some other models

Here are pics

Correct standard version with integral wire

ACRegulator_zps630c8a23.jpg

And the one I have succesfully used for many years, I like the fact that this one has a plug on connection so it's not trash if the wire breaks.

Voltage_Regulator.jpg

If not that then a short somewhere. How does one go about finding a short?

ok..have a good battery from second bike so just need to steal some wiring as well to get it on.

Ok wired up battery..neutral & 2 stroke lights as well as hooter working off battery.

this is regulator on 1980 bike.

jxra.jpg
this is the 1979 bike
66f4.jpg
but now all the indicators completely dead..even idiot light.. the bulbs look ok..where do I check?

Dunno..where does that fuse sit?

ok saw that fuse..its ok...problem is somewhere else.

Can this be checked without a multimeter? May be time I Invested in one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online