How to date a bike by VIN number

carlo
This post is 4064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

Does anybody know how to date a bike by it's VIN number.

I have this French plated Virago xv 125cc with a VIN of JYA5AJ00000109835, but the only papers I have for it are all in French, any ideas anyone

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

2000 the 10th diget is the year of manufacture

Cheers DT, that settles a long running queerie, my spares dept reckons my bike is 1999, the logbook says 2000 and the 10th digit confirms 2000.

2000 the 10th diget is the year of manufacture

Thanks for this, it ties in with what the guy said who I bought it from, pity I can't read French LOL, see my other post :)

No problem mike/carlo just for thoes with alpha v=97w-98x99 so work it out if you need to u would be96 ect..

the 8th diget/alpha is the motor

1st diget is country of manufacture I don't know them all but j=japan,m =mexico ,think e is england and I is north america,a for auzi

anyone with a bike made in india? to add to the list or anywhere else

No problem mike/carlo just for thoes with alpha v=97w-98x99 so work it out if you need to u would be96 ect..

the 8th diget/alpha is the motor

1st diget is country of manufacture I don't know them all but j=japan,m =mexico ,think e is england and I is north america,a for auzi

anyone with a bike made in india? to add to the list or anywhere else

Yes your correct, the first 3 are J - Japan Y - Yamaha A - Motorcycle, the next 2 are 5A - model of bike and the 10th is the year 0 - 2000, no idea what the rest are though :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online