2003 WR250F 'Legalize It' Project

j0hn
This post is 3634 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well john you will certinaly look the part,not getting pant`s? While not 100% water proof they do work well and the tear resistance is amazing and the padding helps alot.

Thanks blackhat250! Yea those boots need some getting used to, welshwan.

dt502001, I wasn't sure about getting new pants because I've got some old motorcycle ones that I used when I first got my XT. It's pure black though so doesn't really look like MX pants. I'll probably end up getting an MX looking one I guess :P.

So I had to make some tough calls today. Go with a cheap £60 Thor Force Knee Guard or look at something more up market. After hours and hours of searching for recommended knee braces and reading all the horror stories with the cheap guards and braces, I went all out and got an Asterisk Cyto Cell brace.

qRwSN2h.jpg

At £398.99, it really did end up costing me a leg.

For the neck brace, I settled on an EVS R4 at £92.99.

cZh5bpQ.jpg

The grand total for all the gear is now at £957.89. Yes, I try not to think about it :(.

If you take the total and divide it out over say 6-8 yrs which other than the lid you will be using the rest for more that 8 it`s actualy cheap insurance.Unless you brake something and then well it was the gear or you and personaly I`d rather break a knee support than my knee

1 broken neck cost ????

2 hyperextend legs off work for weeks cost---________?

1broken collar bone off work 2 weeks cost_________?

ECT ECT... you get my drift about how much this stuff is going to save you in the long run,I`m not saying your never going to get hurt or that your invensible wearing the gear but your way less to get seriously hurt.

The jacke is a bit over kill for plane dirting ,but your going to be riding on the road to get to the dirt so it makes sence.I think all the gear you bought will serve your well for may years to come and if you deside that MXing isn`t for you then you have a lot of gear to go with the bike when you sell it,most used gear still fetches a good buck.

Breaking in new boots sucks get em wet clamp em up nice and tight and wear them for a few hours walking around ,at first you wil look/feel like a penguin but they will start to give abit at the ankle and make it easier to shift/break.

O I forgot to ask does the jacket have a spin protection built in?

Not sure how spin protection on a jacket would look like but I'm going assume no since all I do is just put it on and zip up the right side. There is a kidney belt that seems to hold the jacket in place but apart from that, there isn't anything additional to stop it from spinning.

I got the knee braces today! Walked around in them and it does feel pretty weird. I guess I'll get used to them heh. And yea, these boots have some weight in them, can't bend my ankle at all. I was told that to change gear, you would move the whole leg up and down rather than the ankle, at least until the ankle starts to give way a bit. Nothing special to say about the neck brace other than it fits me pretty well and I can already feel it restricting some head movements that probably shouldn't happen if I were to fall.

• 1 month later...

LMAO I ment spine protection,1 missing letter changes everything though dosen't it.

Where you been we haven't heard from you in a while,I would have thought you would have a pict or 2 of some off roading by now

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, been a while! I was hoping to find some good days to ride it but the weather has been horrible. Rain and wind since the last time I posted. I haven't really been out on my XT either. Managed to get my name added to my dad's car insurance policy so I've been driving around instead of riding. I actually started up the XT just there to make sure it was still in running condition, which started up fine, but the chain was getting stuck so I took it off and left it in a bowl of Paraffin. Going to put it in a tub of Putoline Chain Wax when it stops raining. The WR wouldn't start up at all, I think the battery has drained quite a bit. Currently being recharged, hopefully it wasn't neglected too long for the battery to die.

• 3 months later...

Haven't seen you online in ages.

How's the WR treating you? or has your dads car replaced the bikes now?

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't really had the time last few months :(. Things should be settling now and I should be here more often. Just the other day I took the WR out, on the road though. Only because it has been sitting in the house for a while and didn't want the engine to seize. Summer coming up and now that I'll have more time, I can finally take it off road :D. I've only been on the car a couple of times, thus far I've still been riding around on my XT and I'll always be loyal to my bikes ;).

Glad to hear you and your bikes are doing good, and that you've not turned to the dark side (caged side).

Looking forward to some videos and pictures of you adventures.

There's a bloke on here currently doing up a wr400. I really like the look of these bikes, i'll ask my uncle for a crack on his next time we go out on the bikes....which might be a fair way away (husky has stated smoking from the exhaust- just in time for a summer rebuild lol) :eusa_doh: