Please help I'm thinking of buying a Fazer

r32
This post is 3985 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello every one.

I'm hoping you Gentlemen (and Ladies) can advise me?

I'm thinking of buying a new Fazer 1000, so I'm looking for any owner advise. Stuff like how they ride, reliability issues, fuelling; which I understand may be a problem, etc etc ...........

I'm not a youngster so unlikely to make the most of the performance, but I do like the look of the bike.

Many thanks in advance.

STEVE.................

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Steve, it might be an idea to do an "INTRO" before you launch into asking questions, just polite to say Hi first as we get a LOT of one hit wonders, please go to "new members" section and just say a few things about yourself so folks can relate. Other than that a big WELCOME to the YOC. Wish you luck with finding the right bike, Fazer is a nice ride.

Yeh steve" Ace bike. rode the FZn [ naked] over Ireland, great bikes . power- handling-Looks,, its got em All . :thumb:

Hi Steve, as above an intro goes a long way, you will get more responses as people get to know you.

I ride an fz6 so not exactly the same bike, but I will vouch for the fz6, it has a racey 4cylinder engine that redlines at about 15000rpm, yet it has a laid back seating position and great styling. Anyhow based on my experience and when I hunted around the Internet for my fz6 the only common thing to watch for was that the earlier fz6 had a throttle position sensor fault which a lot were recalled for (for a free repair). Apart from this it's just the usual things. I've had mine for 2 years now (2004 plate) it has done 32000miles and starts and runs perfectly having had no issues.

I own a 2010 FZ1S Fazer. They are very powerful, agile motorcycles.

Reliability wise, the engine is a detuned R1 motor with a lower rev ceiling - the tech is all pretty standard and providing it has had regular servicing I can't see any reason why they can't significant mileage.

Fuelling - there is so much crap said about 1000Fazer fuelling it is laugahable - they fuel excellently; like any EFI bike you don't shut the throttle mid turn [shouldn't on any bike really] as it cuts the fuel. Compared to my old carbed FZR it's creamy and smooth.

Downsides: tank range is poor with an 18L tank (130-180miles), as with any big bike they eat tyres and brake pads.

I'd advise riding one, see if you like it - i'd also suggest a) looking to push for a hefty discount if buying new or B) buy used (i did and paid £4500 less for a bike with accessories and only 5000miles on it).

Well thanks, I've put some more information in the welcome area, as advised. I'm sorry for not doing that.

I appreciate the comments, I'm keen to try a Fazer 1000 but it's a bike that doesnt seem to have demo's available. So I've filled in the demo ride on the Yamaha web site. So I'll see what happens with that.

I'm wondering if the bike is about to be replaced as it has been around a while, some dealer comments have been a bit thought provoking.

One dealer recommended at least waiting to try the new MT09, he had been riding one during the week at a Yamaha do and he was very full of it. I'm used to fuel injected bikes.

There are a few old unregistered bikes about with some discount on, one dealer has a 2010 bike. But I dont really want a three year old bike, unregistered or not. Other dealers dont seem to want to do any negotiation on price on a new bike................

Thanks STEVE.....................

Steve the MT09 is a nice bike at almost 7K it's not a bad bike & cheaper than the Fazer by about 3K so an easy decision for me but you might be a bit flush, wish I had that problem.

Any deasteeler that won't deal on a new /old bike don't waste your time there are lots that will .I saved 2g on mine and it was 1 month from being a year old,bought the bandit in december. And the wr saved about 1500 buying it in the spring of 02

Steve the MT09 is a nice bike at almost 7K it's not a bad bike & cheaper than the Fazer by about 3K so an easy decision for me but you might be a bit flush, wish I had that problem.

I'm not flush, I'm retired...........

But my CBF must be worth quite a way to a new Fazer so I wouldnt expect to have to add a huge amount.

Thanks again, STEVE................................

Fazer-Thou, no idea.
But if it's anything like the Fazer 600, it's a wicked fun bike, very reliable if looked after, very popular and loved by all its owners. Good for riders of all sizes, easily lowered if you're short, comfy enough for all types of ride and damn well worth the money!!