Na'then

This post is 4024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, where to start? Passed bike test in 79 on a CB200. Got married in 80, flogged bike to buy stuff for new house. 33 years later my uncle said I could buy his CX650ED. WHOA!! I ain't sat on a bike for 33yrs, that Honda is one heavy bike, I'll get summat a bit smaller to practice on 1st. Onto ebay, looking for something a bit different/old/classic(?). Bike or scooter, not bothered, then I saw her "What on earth is that? a Yamaha Beluga? Never heard of it, must be a USSR import" Then, like you do when your on ebay & had a coupe of beers, I placed a bid. 3 days later I checked my bid list & I'd won it!!

So fellow 'Beluga' owners i'll be needing your expertise on these machines. BTW how many beluga owners are there on here? (loads i hope)

I'm not totally crackers, my daily drive is a Citroen 2cv & for a living I mend Porsche cars.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi beluga boy & welcome to YOC. Don't think anyone else has admitted to having one but your not alone when it comes to drunken bids on Ebay, nice excuse by the way sorry I mean intro enjoy the forum & good luck with the bike

Welcome aboard! Had to Google the beluga to see what it was. Nice little scoot. :) What shape is the one you bought?

It's in fairy good order.Only done 11000 mls. The lady I got it from only used it to commute 1 mile to work & back. In 1999 she got a job nearer home (!!!) so got a lift & didn't use the bike at all. 14 years later & dry stored in a nice warm garage, I won it on ebay :crazy:.

All electrics work. It cranks over & fires/runs in a fashion but stalls so carb needs sorting. Brakes & suspension feel ok for MOT but i'll have a look at linings when wheels off to fit new tyres. Don't know about CVT transmission, it seems ok on our street but with the engine stalling all the time I can't get any speed up to fully check it out.

All in all I'm quite happy with it. It's very 80's in it' design & shape, so I can belive it's book max speed of 55mph will be correct, good job I was 'Born to be Mild :biglaugha: '

• Like 1

:welcome:

• 1 month later...

Got the engine running good now apart from when it's started from cold & that stupid vac operated choke is in operation, the engine smokes like a mill chimney, but is fine once warm. The engine itself sounds sweet enough but I can hear a tapping noise within the barrel. Using a listening tube I can hear it most right in the center of the barrel. I have taken the head off, there's nothing amiss in there, so i'll see how fairs it over a period of use. Hope I don't need parts for this scooter engine, there ain't any out there :shakeno:

:welcome:

you will find that all manufacturers use a small range of bought engines for their bikes.

I bet the beluga uses a minarelli engine, depending on the spec.

here's a tongue in cheek look at the 8-cc version

http://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/articles3/art0061.html

also called the hercules city cv50 in europe

http://databikes.com/infophoto/hercules/cv50_city-1984.html

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online