What a MUPPET!!!

slice
This post is 3936 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok I admit it, it was me, I noticed a strange clunk when out the other day and it only happened when I leaned into a corner, didn't think to much about it but I was getting worse all the time and giving some odd handling, sort of rolled into the corner and then flopped over a couple of inches half way through, bit scary actually, so was checking the oil and happened to look up under the handle bars and would you believe it NO BOLTS IN THE TOP of the head stock!!!!!! Both bolts gone AWOL and of course the forks were wobbling about all over the place, a lot of swearing later about useless bloody Japanese crap when it occurred to me that I had not checked the bike out over the winter and it's not the bikes fault but the dumb arse sat on it!!!! So out with the spanners and socket set and I found about 15 bolts that had been slowly working them selves loose over time, so if you want to avoid feeling a right twonk then have a look at your own bikes and I bet that you find some loose on yours to. I have now used thread lock on anything that moves and will be checking every 500 miles or so.

PS 2 allen bolts on the clutch casing (lower) were missing as well DOH!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You live and learn... hopefully from others' mistakes!!

Thanks for sharing!

Yup, found the two bolts on the side stand of my Draggy loose last week, even though they have a nylon insert on the other end.

Cleaning your bike thoroughly from time to time is a good time to inspect bolts and general condition, I tend to find the issues that could turn into problems when cleaning my bike, most of the time I'm not even looking for them.

Glad everything's okay though, things could have been a lot worse by the sound of it!

Glad you didn't get hurt,I'm with Norcot I clean my bike's weekly and it' forces me to look at every part of the bikes and that's when I find things that might become a problem. and my rides stay nice and new looking :thumb:

Hey could have been worse, you could be forking out for a new crank for not checking your oil ha ha.

I know what your saying tho as I found that 10% of my bolts where loose when I stripped mine down.

I got caught out a few weeks ago heading for squire's & my clutch lever came undone!

back in march I was riding along & realized I couldn't change down I thought I'd been Grouched & my gearbox was f#cked but when I checked it was an engine mount bolt

sticking out under the gear shift. I do try to do regular checks but you can only check so much and when the weather's hot you just won't to get out & ride

Effing Ell Slicey, I was going to venture up to Gloucestershire in the next couple of weeks but I don't think I will dare now. Sorry Auntie Vi.

If you do Mike the kettle is always on. :jossun: