im a newbi

wiggsy
This post is 6624 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys and girls newbi here.

Im 22yrs old have driven a car for past 3yrs and before that was a little ped boy! please no comments.

I have completed bike theory test and cbt on geared 125, im going to be doing my DAS and i have set my heart on a R6 (first geared bike :blink: he he he) so not actually an owner but will defo be joing the gang!!

I perfer the look of the older model but i am open to advice and suggestions.

cheers all

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Wiggsy

Tend to agree on your choice of older model R6's ;) ....which I've seen a good handful for sale lately...

Well @ least on this side of the pond :D

Best of Luck with your testing :)

hmm not sure myself ... I ride a 2004 R6 but when buying I read alot and once read about the older R6's which said "Don't buy one unless you have 10, 000 miles of sports bike riding.

I think it's because the back end on them was quite twitchy and if you weren't able to read the signs of what the bike was saying (which new riders don't tend to be able to do) it was likely to break loose suddenly. My ex's friend had this very thing happen to her, she passed her test bought an older R6, within 2 weeks she had a fatal accident, because the back end broke loose.

I don't mean to put a downer on things but, if you're buying something you should have all the facts so you can make an informed decision. Personally I think it's too much of a hooligans bike to be suitable to a new rider.

To be truthful I cannot personally comment on the R6 but am inclined to agree with chrisw and would respectfully suggest that you spend your first year or so on something a little less performance orientated. I admit to being biased because I own one, but something like the Divvy 600 (or XJ) would be a cheap way of finding your feet, gaining vital experience and building a bit of no claims bonus. Of course, there are plenty of other alternatives to the Divvy, it's worth shopping around.

Andy

• 3 months later...

:D

hello fellow bikers, i can say that now! just a little update. i today passed my DAS test with only 4minors (first time) whaaahooooo

so now im in the process of hunting down my first bike (R6,R6,R6)

regards

;)

• 1 month later...

:D woohoo another update for those who care to read!

i have now purchased a 2003 sexy blue R6, i collect from dealer on sunday.

can any one advise which make/brands are the best for the r6, im looking to get a tail tidy and a double bubble in blue or maybe black?!

cheers peoples

hi mate glad to see you passed your test and went for a big bike first hey no other way to learn my first bike was a slabside gsxr 750 and i must say I ENJOYED S*ITING MY SELF :D every time i rode it in regards yoru dubble bubble screen and tail tidy THE BMF bike show is at the east ov england show ground next saterday and sunday mate you will think you ar in bike heaven spairs trick bits on every stall a huge auto jumble youl find every thing your looki for and much much more

Hi Wiggsy and congratualtions on passing your test. I see you've gone for a 2003 model and not one of the olders ones (upto 2002) which my previous comments were based on, so the back end should feel a little bit more stable.

Take care of it mate, and learn to ride and know it before opening her up through the twisties .... remember anyone can ride fast in a striaght line it's the corners that make a talented rider. Oh and when the tyres are ready for replacing ditch the Dunlops they're OK but not as good as something like the Pirelli Diablo's which I think work very well on the 03/04 R6's.

But most of all enjoy her ... especially when the Summer finally starts.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online