Gas Tank rust treatment?

DAVE_SecaII
This post is 6859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all - any suggestions on removing light rust from a tank? I've used Rusteco in the past - it works great but is pricey - cus you really need a gallon of the stuff to do a good job...$100 for the liquid and $135 for the gel. You CAN re-use it -which is great but still procey. Rusteco

I've also found a Yamaha product for $40 on CoolRetroBikes.com - a two part system - one removes the rust - the other coats the tank. I'm not a fan of coating gas tank at ALL - I think it's asking for trouble (short of a little motor oil - that's different.) Yamaha Rust remover/treatmment

I don't want to use anything Toxic - my rust is pretty light. I flushed the tank out and it's ready for some type of treatment. Anyone and all thoughts appreciated. ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dave,

This one comes up on the Air Cooled RD forum quite a lot (doesn't it Scott?) as dealing with '70's bikes means lots of tanks have rusty tank internals (and leaks ;) ).

Anyway, to remove rust you do not need to use any sort of chemical, just a bag of small nails or screws (felt tacks are apparently quite good). Having removed your fuel tap (or wreck the flter :blink: ) put in a couple of handfuls of the chosen medium, then shake the tank around a lot, then more, then even more and so on until you are happy with the result. Rinse out after removing nails or whatever and away you go. Apparently.

I have never done this myself, but it is well spoken of by those who have.

Andy

Edited by ANDYROSE

Hey Andy -

I'm going to give this stuff a try - as I have some bolts and other items that rusted while this bike was in storage: Evapo-Rust .

I checked some reviews and they wrere good. I've used a similar product -Rusteco - it worked great but cost 3X the $$$.

I also order a Yamaha carb cleaner: Part # ACC-CARBC-LE-NR.

Threre is a nice page about cleaning the carbs and using this product at:

Carb Clean Tips

And to round things out I order a few fasters and new gaskets for the carbs at bikebandit.com.

Once my manual arrives I'll start with the restoration - and when the center stand comes I'll be even in better shape. I just created a new web page dedicated to the XJ600s project under my signature.

Cheers, Dave

Dave,

This one comes up on the Air Cooled RD forum quite a lot (doesn't it Scott?) as dealing with '70's bikes means lots of tanks have rusty tank internals (and leaks ;) ).

Anyway, to remove rust you do not need to use any sort of chemical, just a bag of small nails or screws (felt tacks are apparently quite good). Having removed your fuel tap (or wreck the flter :blink: ) put in a couple of handfuls of the chosen medium, then shake the tank around a lot, then more, then even more and so on until you are happy with the result. Rinse out after removing nails or whatever and away you go. Apparently.

I have never done this myself, but it is well spoken of by those who have.

Andy

Popular subject this is! :blink:

The bag-o-nails trick seems to work well for some, although I've never used it myself. I have had good results from sloshing a bit of diesel around in the tank a few times which seemed to work well in the particular scenario I had.

Fortunately.... the 2 bikes I currently have both have tanks in good shape. B)

But I've been keeping good mental notes on these remedies for rust removal. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online