New XV950

Russbiker
This post is 4083 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What you guys think? Would you buy one? Its called the star bolt in the USA. Forgive the lack of a link, difficult to post on work comp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

TL:DR - I'd not rush out to buy one, but it'd be on the cards...

I'd buy one, just so I could compare it with Dyna riders, ha ha!!

Actually, in all seriousness, the Sportster market is exactly what Yamaha seem to be competing against anyway, especially judging from the Harley-esque front indicator placement (that'll be the first thing to go).

For once, I rather like this model. Lots of blackened bits instead of fecking chrome, modern internals, but Sportster styling blended with the older Custom styling of the Dragstars... Something I really missed in the new 'streamlined' silliness of the Midnight Stars.

Despite calling it 'Neo Retro' styling, which sounds like oxymoronic bollocks, at least they haven't done a Suzuki and named it after a dildo* range!!

Oh, and hey - Disc brakes both ends and ABS on a Cruiser??!! Wicked!!!

I think the best part is that it already comes in Camo Green!! :D

And now the bad?

Might need outrigged foot controls. That looks a little tucked in for long-limbed comfort.

Cornering clearance looks rather small in the below video... or is that camera trickery?

And what's with the pissy 38.3kw Yammie are quoting? I'd have expected 50-60-odd... What up wi' dat?

12 litre tank??!! TWELVE??!! Are you taking the piss now, Yamaha? I want to go much further on this bike than just down the shops for a quick pose. Jeez, even the Viggie finished at 13L... BIG disappointment there and possibly a deal-breaker. Cruise away the miles, but only about 150 of them at a time, if you're very very careful...

See a Jackson Teller wannabe compare the Bolt to the HD 833 in this video (and hear it if, unlike me, you have sound at work):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOVghy0AgYk&feature=player_embedded

*Marauder and Intruder, in case anyone was wondering!

Official power figures/top speeds are often all over the place though arnt they! Usually they are very understated on cruiser style bikes because its largely unimportant to most buyers but sports bikes are quoted to the last horsepower because its one of the main selling points/Bragging points. I Read an official press release spec for a reasonably powerful bike (cant say for sure but think it might have been an mt01) and they just quoted in the top speed section "exeeds 100mph". As long as a bike has good overtaking power to get around a vehicle doing 70 on a country road, and it could cruise happily in the outside lane on a motorway without holding people up I think I could live with it

Official numbers are pretty much all that's being published. The 950 Midnighty thing is approximately the same and the actual tested figures tally, pretty much.

they just quoted in the top speed section "exeeds 100mph".

That's fine, though.

All you need to hear is, "Goes fast enough for you to lose your licence". There is still a speed limit in this country... apparently.

70 on a country road??!!

Firstly it's supposed to be 60 at most, so bad boys whoever is trying that. Secondly, that NEVER happens as country roads all have bloody tractors, horses and cyclists everywhere!!

Ahhh but you know speedo reading are never accurate! Youre allowed 60 on a single track but thats 100mph on my black widow speedo!

the bolt is looking great, but if i have to chose between a bolt and a midnightstar, I will chose the midnightstar. after I take the midnightstar if you put me chose another one between those 2, I will take again the midnight star. in my opinion bolt is for keeping in garage and tacking out just to show people what nice bike you have... and, btw... cruiser style? I hope you speak just about the design, because the only one place where you can cruise this bike is in the city :)) after 1h I bet you are broken and you need take a break... long break. after 2 days of "cruising" you will sell your bolt.

after 2000 miles on xvs950a midnight star I can say I have enough power for anything I need on a road. overtaking a vehicle with 70 m/h is just a joke, you need just give the gas and in a few seconds you have 90-100m/h in 5th gear.

but some crazy people tour on r1's and swear theyre comfy! Not me though! One thing I really dont like about midnightstar is the floorboards, other than that I dont think its a bad looking bike. The missis was thinking about getting a midnightstar but I reckon this new version might really suit her, supposed to be ultra low and a bit lighter. Will definitely test ride one and see what I think

Youre allowed 60 on a single track but thats 100mph on my black widow speedo!

Aaaaaaand the truth about the Widow finally comes out, ha ha!!

Get a ShatNav. They're more accurate than yer dial...

If it's dual carriageway, it's not a country road... in fact, it ain't a country road until there *are* bloody tractors, cyclists and horses everywhere... occasionally with banjos playing. However, if you find Ewan and Charley also on it, you're seriously lost!

and, btw... cruiser style? I hope you speak just about the design, because the only one place where you can cruise this bike is in the city :)) after 1h I bet you are broken and you need take a break...

"I'll take that bet"

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

You have NO idea how long I've been waiting to properly use that movie quote!! Seriously, no-one bets me anything any more.

But yes, you have a bet, sir.

You go buy the bike and if I win, I keep it. If not, I'll buy it off you for every penny, every cent, every zloty you bought it for.

deal? :D

One thing I really dont like about midnightstar is the floorboards

But that's the beauty - You just swap them out. Probably make the bike a whole kilo lighter, too.

I'd be wary of the lighter bike... heavy is good. Is sign of reliability. Plus if it fails, you can always hit them with it... oh wait, that's guns innit!

I do like this new bike, but it is very very similar to the Harley Sporty 48 which id buy over this new yammy.

One thing I really dont like about midnightstar is the floorboards, other than that I dont think its a bad looking bike.

in 2000 miles I touch the road 3-4 times in some roundabouts and this because of high speed there. you ride sport, you hit the road, you use this bike like a cruiser, you have nothing to worry about floorboards.

Aaaaaaand the truth about the Widow finally comes out, ha ha!!

Get a ShatNav. They're more accurate than yer dial...

If it's dual carriageway, it's not a country road... in fact, it ain't a country road until there *are* bloody tractors, cyclists and horses everywhere... occasionally with banjos playing. However, if you find Ewan and Charley also on it, you're seriously lost!

"I'll take that bet"

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

You have NO idea how long I've been waiting to properly use that movie quote!! Seriously, no-one bets me anything any more.

But yes, you have a bet, sir.

You go buy the bike and if I win, I keep it. If not, I'll buy it off you for every penny, every cent, every zloty you bought it for.

deal? :D

you will accept the pain for a bike, who will not do this? after this you will sell the bike a buy some drags. be fair and accept the fact, YOU CAN`T CRUISE WITH THIS BOOBER! anyway, i don`t have the money to buy another bike :) look at this seat, at position of the rider... your ass will be finished in 100 miles... maybe if you have 1,20m and 30 kg, yes, you can cruise with this bike lol .

If I can cruise (such as it is) for 36k on a 125 Drag, I can happily handle this... and any boobs you throw my way had better be firm and pert!

But as I said, you buy it and I'll prove it.

If I do sell it thereafter, it will not be over comfort issues... tank range, most likely.

If I can cruise (such as it is) for 36k on a 125 Drag, I can happily handle this... and any boobs you throw my way had better be firm and pert!

If I do sell it thereafter, it will not be over comfort issues... tank range, most likely.

Being a smoker you should be used to pulling over for a quick one every 100miles or so?! Tank range on the warrior is pretty bad 120miles if you ride like an old man, 90 if you enjoy using the power, whats a bigger problem is the poor reserve 10-18.5miles at best (18.5 i tested myself and ran out half a mile from petrol station!).

I agree that you can tour on virtually any bike as long as youre enjoying it youll find a way to manage. Back in the day I would have easily enjoyed 100s of miles on my 125 but ask yourself honestly could you go back and do it now after being spoiled with bigger bikes? I couldnt, Id hate it. Id spend every moment longing for my other bike

Being a smoker you should be used to pulling over for a quick one every 100miles or so?!

When I'm in the saddle, I forget about such trivialities... until I finally stop for fuel, that is!!
Did you know it's legal to smoke within 5 yards of a fuel pump, so long as you're actually off the premises?

but ask yourself honestly could you go back and do it now after being spoiled with bigger bikes?

The 125 Drag is a different cruising ride. Not neccesarily better or worse, just... different. Less wind fatigue due to lower speed. More focus, as need more planning for overtakes. Less comfort, but not much difference to big Drag. MUCH more fun to throw around through heavy traffic in the inevitable tourist area snarl-ups, though - "Stonehenge? Where? Oh, missed it"!!

More likely I'd just get bored, especially if it's straight liney motorway stuff.

again, you will accept the pain to win a bike, but you want prove this? ok, let me know when you buy your next bike if this is a bolt, but i`m sure will not be a bolt. if you want, you can cruise with bicycle. the pain afrter this is another story. I guess you want tell me the bolt is more confy than a midnight star? a bobber better than a cruiser?

again, you will accept the pain to win a bike,

No, that's not the bet.
The best is, word for word: "after 1h I bet you are broken and you need take a break.".
So if, after one hour of riding, there is enough pain that I am unable to continue and am forced to stop, that makes you a winner.
If after one hour of riding I do not need to take a break, I win and continue on with the bike in my possession, V5 and everything.

Word for word.

ok, let me know when you buy your next bike if this is a bolt, but i`m sure will not be a bolt.

That is not a fair gauge.
My last Drag cost me £1,700. My FJ cost me the carcass of my fist Drag and an additional £900, plus parts and beer for my mechanic.
IF I can ever afford a brand new bike or IF there is a second-hand Bolt/XV950 whatevertheUKversioniscalled for sale at a price I can afford, then we can talk.

I guess you want tell me the bolt is more confy than a midnight star?

Depends what the Bolt is like once I outrig the foot controls... Stock, I'd go for any of the Midnights but rip the fecking wings, I mean floorboards, off the first chance I got.

a bobber better than a cruiser?

Don't be silly - Wait, which Cruiser?
125 drag? Bobber every time.
400cc plus? Cruiser.
535 Viggie? Cruiser.
Only way I'd choose a Bob over a Cruiser is if the Bob is built to my own spec, specifically for me. I like my spine to function!

Anyway, I thought this thread is about whether we'd buy a Bolt, not whether it's the one and only bike to live our lives on. If I had money to chuck on a new bike to piss on a Sportster, I have several others already on my Dream Garage list that are ahead in the queue.

you can`t compare the 125 with the 950, bolt are builded on a xvs950a v-star platform, not on a 125 dragstar, and if you read my first post here you will see I compare the bolt with the v-star(midnightstar). about broken part, you can`t be broken after 1 h on a bicycle so, i`m sure you will not be practically broken after 1h riding a bolt. all what I want say is not good for cruising... I wan`t see you turing in EU with your bobber lol... but I`m sure you understand what I mean from start and I don`t need to continue :P

with a midnightstar I can do EVERYTHING you can do with a bolt but you will never can do with the bolt what I can with midnightstar :D and this is the truth but just blabla :hah:

What *are* you talking about?

I use your exact words and choose my own very precisely, to avoid miscommunication.

Compare it to what you like, I'm using points of reference relevant to my own ride. All a guy can really do, I guess.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online