High gas consumption - XS 400 DOHC 12E 1984

overpl
This post is 4088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have a real trouble with my XS400 DOHC. At first when I bought it, PO said that she smokes like 7liters/100km

So what I've done:

- eliminate hole at muffler

- new jets to carbs (stock)

- change oil, checked air filter- fine,

- set valve clearance

- changed float height to about 20 mm - (was about 16'ish)

I haven't have a chance to check consumption before that, but suddenly I had sth like 10 liters/100km

so I've changed float height to about 22mm - it is almost far as can be, and manualy pull out the choke lever in carbs (when I was pulling choke my XS couldn't even run - just drown right away, after setting higher float height it started to work, but still poorly - RPM at choke about 1500-1700 - when idle 1300) - seems that my choke couldn't fully close with choke lever at bar.

Now I have my consumption at about 7l/100km, and about 5.7 at large distans constant speed 80-90kph. So it is totaly abnormal and high.

I don't know honestly what I can do.. engine sounds fine besides that I have a feeling like its drowning specialy at RPM like 3000'ish-3500. Sometimes when I maintain constant speed ex. 60kph I have a feeling that my XS loosing power from time to time. Also when I shift down gears with throttle on ( I don't know how to name it in English) there is sometimes no reaction to my open throttle...

So what I can do to make my consumption lower - cuz it supposed to be sth like 5liters/100km or less.

Kind regards,

Over.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi have you checked your your spark plug's, see if its running to rich maybe just try new one's also check vacuum pipe on petrol tap to carb that it isn't split, you may need to reset your mixture screw also re adjust choke cable

you could do an intro in the new members forum then post your question in workshop you will get lot better response