DT175 G Rebuild

mcferreira100
This post is 3883 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

what she looks like after decals on. just have a little oil leak problem then should be sorted.

t5eu.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks very nice! :)

Looking good! What tyre you got ont' back?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought would put a pic of what original piston looked like with broken top ring.

penc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Updated pic. Thanks to mostly Airhead and others for plenty of help to get me this far..sorry I`m not too hot as a mechanic but I`m learning fast. Right now she`s just blowing bulbs and some clutch slippage but starting easy and running well. (stole the other bike`s reg no for road use) Also stole speedo gauge and rear tailight assembly to get her looking road legal. I plan to make a custom tailight bracket as you can see the angle not too good with the IT fender and seat.

m66j.jpg
Another pic showing second one resprayed tank. She was complete but has a carb issue so far. Need to get it done for roadworthy as she has papers.
vjio.jpg
both bikes
ybuf.jpg
  • Like 1

It has the steel fender underneath. Still need another tailight..I have a pirate tailight assembly..just need to make a bracket for it..then i can get that angle better. Still need to wire up the rear end lights, wiring for battery and replace that regulator. Stole the mirrors off the other bike as well. Will need to get a set sometime.

On bikes such as my VT-1100 shadow, GS850, and many others the head light, & or directionals would blow if you removed the battery from the circuit with the possibility of blowing out the regulator. The battery helps smooth out the voltage similarly to the way an airbox smooths out airflow. The circuit has a steady source to draw from that way. I am seeing that carburetors are being seriously neglected during cleaning also. If you take the time to pull it and spray w cleaner before trying for however long to troubleshoot, you may as well use a paintcan size of chem-dip (cold soak cleaner of some brand). Remove all rubbers and plastics first or the cold soak will do it for you. New stuff and correctly setting the float height will save so much effort. Anyhow. If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask. I should have a factory manual for the '78 DT175E ready also

Thanks for the offer..will never say no.(I have the 1980G manual..not the 79F) Yep so I have learnt..with battery in place things seem better. Done quite bit of riding now with no more blown bulbs. As for the carb..will try replacing seal for needle and seat..also will try using Brasso to clean float valve.

Thanks for the offer..will never say no.(I have the 1980G manual..not the 79F) Yep so I have learnt..with battery in place things seem better. Done quite bit of riding now with no more blown bulbs. As for the carb..will try replacing seal for needle and seat..also will try using Brasso to clean float valve.

Thats a good point...there is a gasket under the float valve seat...check it's there and in good condition

• 1 month later...

Recent pic of the 2 DT`s..as well as the XT.

e8hp.jpg

mqb5.jpg

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online