Got Scared Yesterday by a Van

Norcot
This post is 3922 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was riding in wales yesterday with my chest mounted GoPro on, sticking to the speed limit so I was doing 50 to 60mph around the country roads. Came round a corner and crapped my pants when I seen this van crossing into a junction.

No one was at fault, but he could have hurried across a little quicker!

Anyhow a good lesson as to why speed limits apply in my opinion. Call me lame but I think if I was going over 60mph there would have been a good chance I would have ended up as an imprint of the side of the mini bus!

What you cant see in the video is the biker behind me, luckily he didnt plough into the back of me.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd stick that Go-Pro on yer head. Much better.

Granted that you say that its was nether perosns fault but "to me" it was as if the van driver didn't even stop as in to give way or think that there would be some thing coming round the bend?

for all he knew there wasn't a nice light biker coming but a fully loaded artic lorry which wouldn't stop as quick as you did.

But very well done keeping it all together and hope you enjoyed the rest of your ride

agree that sort of thing can give you the willies

looked like some kind of taxi type vehicle

reminds me of a time, in the past, long gone,

thousands of years ago (well seems like that) I had a van driving job

the person employing me gave me more than I could do in the hours

consequently you hurry, maybe take short cuts, your mind is on deliveries

otherwise you find that you don't get home until much later than you should

I imagine it's the same for service van drivers and certainly builders aren't

good at watching where they are going - too many careless drivers about.

Glad you showed the clip, helps us all realise what we are up against !

Good job Norcot. You were anticipating well as is evidenced in your controlled braking. My guess is that Mr Van Man was either distracted and didn't see you or he misread your speed which is very common IMO. As Ian states above, a good reminder that its better to assume no one ever sees you !

• 2 weeks later...

I've had similar happen to me. Brown trousers time, for sure.

Good work keeping your cool! :eusa_clap:

Thanks for the comments everyone, it was one of my more controlled panic moments!

Having ridden that same road again last weekend I have discovered going the opposite direction (the direction of the van) that Bend is rather blind, with that said if I was the van driver I wouldn't have went as slowly as he did across the road.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online