86' FZX 700 - Fuel Overflow

turnips48
This post is 4097 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Members - I have inherited this 'challenge' from my son with the words- could you just sort this out please Dad.........

The bike has been a runner but has stood for a long period of time without use during the winter.

When the ignition is turned on, and with the fuel switch in either ON or RES, the petrol pump starts ticking and does not stop, after a few seconds fuel starts spewing out of the lower of the two parallel chrome pipes on the RH side and ends up in a pool on the top of the crankcase/gearbox area.

So my question is why is this happening? should there be another rubber pipe connected to the bottom of the chrome pipe to run it off or return it somewhere? how does the fuel pump know when to stop delivering fuel to the carbs?

Also, I am not sure if this a separate or associated problem, but when the ignition is switched on the radiator fan starts running and the engine is stone cold.

Help Please!

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Clean carbs and replace the coolant temp switch for fan control or plug it back in if un pluged or check the wireing,the puter just runs the fans all the time to avoid over heating if it has no signal from the switch.

Not sure how the pump knows when to stop ,it's a low pressure system so it may just need the floats to provide back pressure or there may be a pressure sencing switch a good look at the wireing diagram will tell you. Might need to clean the pump.

Edit just a second though might have a mechanical fuel pressur switch vac controled post a picture if you can

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online