DT175 Front Brake Conversion

Kkrumb
This post is 3951 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All. Have benn thinking of changing my front brakes to disk or maybe bigger drums. I am not confident in the current bracking power if I need to hit them for a quick stop.

Does anyone know of a simple swap over?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its a lot of bother becuase you need the forks, yokes and wheel off the donor bike to m ake it work, and most dont handle right/damage the tank on full lock.

the front drums are surprisingly good on the dt if kept in good nick and set up right. im not the slowest of riders and I dont struggle.

been there done it. There is no benefit as already said it is a great brake on the front of the dt. With propper care of course.

Thanks guys. I adjusted the front brake last night and it is working alot better now. I probably just need some more practice on adjusting.

You do need to know how to ser up a drum brake. The position of the brake arm is a deal breaker.

Set the brake arm so the cable will pull it upto but not past 90 degrees to the cable. Then adjust the cable to suit. Don't forget you need to clean the drum and the shoes a couple of times a year.

Doing that and that drum brake will better any disk on a 125 dirt bike. Till you overheat it obviously.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online