Cheap Levers

Norcot
This post is 4097 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Decided lately that I wanted some short levers for my FZ6, the stock ones looked a bit dull! But I didnt want to spend £80 per lever on ASV ones so I thought I would try some cheap levers from eBay. My first worry about them were that they may fail in operation, but having checked many many forum reviews and despite all the worry stories, I didnt find a case where cheap levers have failed under normal use.. So I bit the bullet and I bought these, short, black version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350648816847

Despite having to wait 4 weeks for them they have finally arrived and I have fitted them onto the bike. First thing I did was inspected the lever build, quality is immaculate for the price! Indeed machined from single piece of Alu. and feel very reassuring / strong and stiff under initial tests.

They fit very snug (as good as the originals really) with the only thing being that the reach adjustment mechanism built into the levers lead to a little vertical play in the lever itself, nothing noticeable during operation though.

Will be sure to post pictures and a clearer review after some trashing!

Anyone else out there use cheap levers?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I dropped my bike on some mud (after being told by my daughter's boyfriend that his garden was the best place to park it) and snapped the break lever. £2:99 from ebay and it's as good as the original.

As promised I have now had some time with the new levers and though I would post a quick review and some pictures.

So many people out there say avoid cheap chinese made items. With the price of these levers I thought I would have to give them a chance.. Well I have now used the levers for a couple of weeks, the lever feel is better than the stock in my opinion, switching to the shorty levers makes quick gear changes effortless, and having fitted EBC pads the short brake lever gives me all the stopping power I need using only 2 fingers, I can keep the others on the bar.

I was sceptical at first about the levers at this price but i'm pretty impressed. They fit first time hassle free, took 10 mins to fit, undo a bolt, stick new one in, redo bolt.

The adjusters work well too, I found the adjustment allowed me to get the brake lever closer to the bar than the stock one which fells better for me, yet they can be adjusted far out enough from the bar to as far as the stock lever, so the adjustment range is greater. Also the clutch lever features an adjuster too which my stock on did not, allowing me to tweak that lever.

The lever feels responsive and reassuring through use, there is a little play in the vertical direction through the lever adjustment mechanism/joint but its not noticeable in use, only when you inspect them compared to the stock ons.

Finally I love the look of them, improvement on the stock.

Bottom line, the quality seems good, they are cheap, they look good, and work great for the price. As long as they don't decide to break within a year (or half a year!) i'm happy.

Heres how they look on the FZ6:

lever1.jpg

lever2.jpg

lever3.jpg

lever4.jpg

lever5.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online