Yamaha xt125x dashboard

martinshaw94
This post is 3945 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi my yams dash has completely gone and reading reviews about the xt dashboards and knowing if i spend hundreds on a new dash that will break after a few years what is the best route to take on a half decent dash that will last.

martin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

grouch has some aftermarket one fitted on his, he's not broken it yet so must be good :P

When/If he ever comes back online ask him. maybe send a PM so its there waiting for him when he next signs in.

If you get around to fitting an aftermarket dashboard, would be awesome if you could take pictures of the process and maybe post step by step guide on how you managed to do it. It's a very common issue and could save a lot of other XT riders a lot of time :D.

Here is a link to a similar thread about the issue and Grouch's second post contains an ebay link to the aftermarket dashboard that he now has on his XT:

Edit: Just a thought. The other day, for the first time since getting the bike, the dashboard didn't light up when I turned the ignition on. The first thing I thought was that the dashboard was gone. I messed around with it a little but it wouldn't turn on so I called my dad to bring some tools to see if the battery was dead. While he was on his way, I tried kick-starting (kicked it maybe twice) and to my surprise, the dashboard came back to life. This happened a couple of days ago and haven't had any issues yet. Might want to give it a try.

ok j0hn ill do that to help out the community once i have got the dash and no the whole thing has fried most on the resistors are burnt out

Looks like I'm the latest victim of this curse. If you leave your bike for some hours and come back to it, does switching the ignition on cause the dashboard to flash and go off again? That's what mine is doing at the moment, won't turn on at all after that flash.

//Edit: Turns out it wasn't actually the dashboard but a connector that connects the wiring loom to the ignition barrel was corroded.

XT_IGN_Corroded.jpg

As you can see from the picture above, the bottom far right connector slot is heavily corroded. I used electrical contact cleaner and cleaned off the corrosion. Plugged it back in and the bike started working again :D! That "kick-start" solution I posted before probably caused the connectors to regain contact temporarily due to the bike shaking while kick-starting, but only to fail later for good.

This probably won't make any difference to you since you said yours had fried but anyone else having a similar issue might find it useful. The picture below shows the connector (circled red) that was corroded.

XT_Ignition_Connector.png

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online