Counter steering

twincle
This post is 4016 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think it's something every rider (new or old) does instinctively. Depending on the corner curvature and speed, I don't think it's possible to turn without counter steering. You'd think you're trying out something new (because I certainly did when I first learned about it) but I doubt it's any different from other riders who are simply not aware they are counter steering. Some do like to take the biscuit when it comes to counter steering and that's when shit could really hit the fan.

you serious?

it's a little trick the police/IAM/rospa use,

at first it feels wrong,unnatural and not intuitive, pushing against the turn, difficult to explain,

cranks the bike over, sharpens the turn -

takes a bit of getting used to, I wondered what the logic was at first.

yeh as a new rider i had the usual troubles of not getting around corners smoothly and doing things like panic braking and generally sh1tting myself ;)

So i consulted the font of all rider training knowledge - you tube and found loads of 'tuition' like this:

certainly makes things easier for me on turning

Counter steering?

If I wish to go left, I turn the bars in that direction and lean to that side, same if I go right

Is there another way to turn corners?

try turning your handlebars at 90 mate ;)

• Like 1

try turning your handlebars at 90 mate ;)

I guess I'll carry on doing what comes naturally, whatever anyone wants to call it in this modern age when everbody/thing is pigeon holed/catergorised

Doesnt seem to stop me enjoying it

I do this over 20 years on bicycles (mountain routes) so, on motorcycle is nothing new for me. just instinctively if I need. BTW, I learn theoretically how to do this when I get my CBT :))).

Counter steering seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment. It seems like most people can't remember back to being kids and riding push bikes?? It was a natural instinct then as it is now on two wheels. What's the mystery?

I guess I'll carry on doing what comes naturally, whatever anyone wants to call it in this modern age when everbody/thing is pigeon holed/catergorised

Doesnt seem to stop me enjoying it

it's more for racing maybe touring style bikes I'd say :spin2:

No way you can 2 hand steer without doing it,now that said,the art of doing it properly takes practice.aAnd can save a low side when your going to crash without knowing how to do it and turning a low side into a high side if done wrong. But done properly you will be drifting in no time safely.

Keith Code's books TWIST OF THE WRIST "the motorcycle road racing hand book" notes and comment's by Eddie Lawson and "the soft sicence of road racing motorcycles" notes by Wain Rianey both cover indepth the art of cornering.

And this is 20+ yr old books this is nothing new,and applicable in any situation and on any bike I would highly recomend everyone read both books,if you do and put the workshop test to practice you will be a better rider go faster around corners with more confidence!

As said most people just do it and some deliberately do it.

The difference is when motorway cruising just a slight lean does it however, when lane carving this is when you use counter steering the most.

Also the bike setup effects how well C/S works ie. a sport bike will want to drop in to a bend so less effort is needed on the other hand if you C/S a cruiser it will drag its foot boards to quickly so a combination of C/S and leaning helps.

I started riding in 1968 and we used it then, my DAD rode in the early 1930 and he did it, it'd not new and if you don't do it you fall off, simple really.

• Like 1

This crops up all the time.

At very low speeds, you turn the bars right if you want to turn the bike right.
Above those low speeds, you lean... yes?

No.

As proven in the videos, you turn the bars slightly left, you will lean the bike right. Many people push forward on the side they want to turn, so push right bar to turn right... right?
Now - When you go to lean, the first thing that moves will be your head. Shoulders will follow, then the body... but wait - Shoulders move? Yep, as you lean your shoulders juuuuuuuuust a fraction, you put slightly more force on to one arm than the other... and that's enough to move the bars to start the counter-steer.

OK, so now you're banking over. This is where most people think they're turning the bars in the turn direction... and they're correct, to a degree. Because you're banking, you're basically tipping the bike over on it's side, so you turn the bars back to stop this and maintain lean angle throughout the turn.

Thus a bike turn is a controlled fall, in essence. But to start the lean, you counter-steer.

On a Cruiser, it is much more noticable - The bars are wider and you have almost no weight on your feet, so you have no option but to countersteer and you really feel it in those arms. I actually pull on, or hang off the opposite bar during some turns. On my Tourer, for example, it's less noticable but still works the same way.
I'm still conscious of doing it, but it blends with everything else into an overall feel for the handling.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online