Dealer Servicing Cost

Jeff
This post is 6761 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought my first bike (250 Virago) a couple of months ago and took it in for the 600 mile servicing and was I shocked when they gave me the bill: $190! I was thinking it would be more in line with taking a car in for a lube, oil, filter. Obviously, I was mistaken. Does $190 sound right? If so, I think I'll be taking a crash course in motorcycle maintenance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Prime example of why I don't take my bikes anywhere for service! :rolleyes:

Do it all myself & save Big Bux ;)

Plus, the more you learn about your own bike, the easier it is to troubleshoot when something goes wrong :)

Thanks. I agree, if you're going to get into riding you'd better learn something about taking care of your bike, or have a big wallet. Sense I don't have the latter I'll start learning. By the way, as most of you probably know, the big cost was the labor for taking engine components apart to check the valves. And surprise! (with only 600 miles on the bike) the valves were normal and did not need adjusting.

Possibly a Freudian slip misspelling the word since; since I had little good sense taking my Virago in for servicing

And surprise! (with only 600 miles on the bike) the valves were normal and did not need adjusting.

You'd be surprised just how far you can go before you actually have to adjust those valves! ;)

If you keep your oil changed frequently & DON'T over-rev the motor too much.....they'll easily go a few thou before needing adjusting.

I recall getting well over 15k on my old Seca550 before actually adjusting 'em. B)

I've never had to adjust the valves (or don't feel I need too :blink: ) on my '81 Yamaha XJ which is now at over 90,000mile and has never had any actual engine work ...yet

Ooh lets see if I can reach that 100,000 mile barrier on the Original (untouched) Engine, Gearbox and clutch ... ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online