gear lever ajustment problem

sllca
This post is 4111 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Everyone my Son has just bought his first bike at the age of 20 yrs old. Me being his Dad at 45yrs old. We both did our CBT last Sunday and both have no experience. What we have both noticed that when changing up a gear we are both finding it hard to get our boots under the gear lever. So I removed the lever and moved up as little as I could, but now the lever is marking the engine. Can we buy a new lever that sticks out a little more than the original to stop it marking the engine ? Hope this makes sense to somebody.

Cheers new rider

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Steve, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling!! Always something that needs fixing, I would return the lever to the original position as the scratches on the engine casing will only get worse and there is also the chance that you will either miss a gear or jam the thing in gear, not to be recommended when your going round corners or pulling away from the lights, it's embarrassing at best dangerous at worst.

You could try getting another lever and heat it up and actually bend it to the shape you want but and it's a big BUT most metals will fracture if you use to much heat or over do it, not heard of this problem from other folks on here who have your bike so maybe it's something your doing that is causing the problem? It might just mean you have to get used to the system rather than start adjusting stuff straight off, just my thoughts you understand but I would keep plugging away and see how it goes over the next few weeks.

PS It's usual to do and INTRO (new members section-front page of forum) before you launch into asking questions about how to fix your bike, just nice to introduce yourself before asking strangers to help you out and it would also be best if you put this question into the WORKSHOP area as more folks will see it and know what your after, THE BAR is for general chat and making sarcastic comments about each other. Plus most folks like you to say Hi before they will answer strangers questions. Oh and by the way WELCOME to the YOC, always nice to have new folks join in. :jossun:

• Like 1

Are you wearing steelies by any chance? (steel toe cap boots)

The ones i have for work and so big and bulky that i had to borrow my instructors bike boots for when i did my test- The problem with mine was that cap was too high, i really had to wiggle my foot to get under the lever in order to shift up. might this be the issue? Just a suggestion :)

Elton John used to have the same problem in the seventies... :biglaugha:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online