Basic Question

Novice
This post is 6682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Is the exhaust system (ie the entire pipe system) of the XT660R stainless steel?

I know this is pretty basic question, but I don't seem to be able to find anything on this - not even from Yamaha spec sheet.

I know the chassis is steel. Does it mean it will rust away if left outside? The TDM900 is great - aluminium chassis and stainless steel exhausts, great for someone that can't afford a garage (living in central London).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Is the exhaust system (ie the entire pipe system) of the XT660R stainless steel?

I know this is pretty basic question, but I don't seem to be able to find anything on this - not even from Yamaha spec sheet.

I know the chassis is steel. Does it mean it will rust away if left outside? The TDM900 is great - aluminium chassis and stainless steel exhausts, great for someone that can't afford a garage (living in central London).

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/news/.../09/xt660r.html

Look like it :

7) Dual exhaust for outstanding torque character and unique exterior styling

Adoption of a left-right symmetrical dual muffler (made of SUS material) that draws two separate exhaust pipes from the two exhaust ports and feeds them into the up-muffler (silencer) instead of combining them into one at the head, helps bring out excellent torque characteristics in the low to middle speed range. The 100mm diameter, 500mm long silencer is covered by a highly heat-resistant nylon protector featuring a metallic-looking finish. This gives the exterior styling a distinctive accent point. Meanwhile, a connecting pipe is provided to cancel out the slight pulse difference between the left and right exhaust pipes to help ensure excellent drivability. This system is also characterized by its pleasing exhaust sound, the optimized sizes and pipe lengths of the exhaust system components and the optimized expansion chamber design.

SUS is SUS 304 Stainless steel

http://www.doctorimport.com/apex-n1-exhaust.html

I think as a rule on a dirt bike, if the pipe is not painted with a black heat paint, then it is Stainless!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online