XT & the Volcano...

YamaHead
This post is 6734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Went out for a ride yesterday with a mate....to have a close look @ Mt. St.Helens from a place called the Windy Ridge viewpoint. We'd heard reports of snow possibly closing the road near the destination, but ran into the white stuff a bit sooner than we thought......

ATandXTinthesnow.jpg

So after deciding that the snow was covering what little tarmac we had left.....

Scottsaysthesnowsgettingdeep.jpg

We got our bikes turned around & started heading back......all the while enjoying the quiet endless miles of twisties B)

We then found this other nice little viewpoint.....

XT_StHelens1.jpg

*I've gotta get myself a proper Digi-Cam like my mates! <_<

Instead of this dodgy camera/phone :rolleyes: ..which fortunately, my boss pays for ;)

The new IRC tires I recently put on were more than worthy of any condition we came across B)

The old Beast now rails through the twisties almost as good as my RD :thumb:

All in all, a great day of riding........Can't wait till spring! ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great stuff Scott! :D

Nice to see you getting the XT out, and in the sort of conditions which it would be well suited for!

No snow worth talking about here, just frosts down to about -6*C. Better than the constant wet weather we have had for the last month though.

Andy

great pics scott, both bikes are looking well :) hi andy, it's nice getting a break from the wet weather we've been having eh, i dont mind how cold it gets, or even snow(infact i like that B) ) but rain, i hate rain! anyway, hope you're well mate ;)

great pics scott, both bikes are looking well :) hi andy, it's nice getting a break from the wet weather we've been having eh, i dont mind how cold it gets, or even snow(infact i like that B) ) but rain, i hate rain! anyway, hope you're well mate ;)

Hi Alan,

I'm fine thanks, just busy! Yes it nice to get a break from the rain, I laid the bikes up before going away in October and haven't had them out since :angry: . We don't just get a wet day or two now, we seem to get endless days and it is never just rain but torrents of it, no fun at all for anything, never mind riding :(

Soon be spring again though. I trust you are well and living a quiet and sober life, lol :D

Cheers,

Andy

living a quieter life again andy, and more sober. i've had my blow out and it's time to get back to reality for me i think. drinking and womanising's not all it's cracked up to be :lol: i'll still be doing the latter still of course(as any young lad with a bike should be doing B):D ) but the drinking's down to a minimum

Interestingly enough Pete......this is what the Sierra Nevada Mountains look like from California on the west coast of BleedinYanksville B) ......

SouthLake-SierraNevadaMts.jpg

both pics very nice guys! are you going off the man made surface's much pete, or sticking to the roads? and are there many rules and regs about riding off road down there?

are you going off the man made surface's much pete, or sticking to the roads? and are there many rules and regs about riding off road down there?

I've been busy since I've got here Alan....so I haven't been on either XT for what you'd call a rideout.

Just used them to go into the local town that's all.

As for rules and regs about riding off road here..there isn't even rules and regs about riding on-road here! :lol:

Here's a list of some UK-Spain biking differences that I posted on DSUK........

1. Thousands of little Scooters swarming around like bees (many ridden by nubile young ladies wearing horse riding hats), and they'll pass you any way and anywhere they can. Until it comes to bends....where they have no idea what to do. It's all harsh acceleration, harsh braking....wobble round the bend, then repeat.

2. The sportsbikes adopt the same straightline riding style, except they wobble round bends with their knees out. The general standard of riding skills is pretty poor.......they can't even plan out one bend, let alone a sequence of bends. On British roads, in British weather, and British volume of traffic, they'd never survive.

3. There's no L plates on bikes. Well I've never seen any.

4. You are supposed to carry a helmet......but you don't have to actually have it on your head. Some don't even bother.

5. Very few big trailies/adventure tourers....I've seen one 650 Strom, one Transalp, and one GS since I've been here.

6. I haven't seen any musclebikes, but I do see the odd Harley Twat now and again. Usually British.

7. Nobody seems to wear gloves, or even protective clothing whatsoever. Sportsbike riders are generally in Jeans.

8. Insurance is a blast from the past....it seems to be just cc rated. 250-500, 500-750 etc. So a GSX-R750 costs the same to insure as an XT660. The lesson here is that if you do buy a big bike....make sure it's a big performer, cos anybody on a BT1100 Bulldog is paying the same as an R1.

9. It doesn't matter if there's bits broken or hanging off your bike....you just ride it.

10. The police don't really give a shit what you do....or how small your numberplate is. In fact, they don't even care if you've got a numberplate or not.

11. You can park wherever you want....pavements, crossings etc. Nobody cares.

12. If there's a pedestrian on a crossing you don't have to stop....they have to get out of your way. Or you can just ride around them if you want.

13. It doesn't seem to matter how many people you carry on your bike.

14. It doesn't even matter what you carry on your bike....I even saw a guy on a Scooter carrying a hedge and part of a tree that was about 10 foot tall. He was peering through the branches to see where he was going.

15. The craziest loonies are all on quads.....they turn them on 2 wheels, then race them down the Autovias overtaking on the hard shoulder at about 80mph. No helmets and no number plates either.

16. The best bit? Like in 70's Britain......girls look at guys on bikes admiringly! They even stop and watch you...and I've had a few waves too.

Basically, Spain is a Utopia for Bikers......irrespective of the type of bike you ride.

Geez Pete.....once again, what you've described sounds just like Mazatlan! :blink:

They hold a weel long, nation-wide bike rally there every spring......we happen to be on holiday there 2 years ago during the same week as that rally.......What a MadHouse!

They all pretty much ride helmetless :rolleyes:

My lad & I were waiting @ a crosswalk outside our hotel....when the signal turned red, one rider came flying up to a stop on the front wheel!....riding a Montesa Trials bike! :blink: ....When the light turned green....a complete Vertical Wheelie to the next signal down the street......obviously he musta been a Tequila powered local! :lol:

Plenty of loonies on Quads there as well......saw a guy with his Ol' Lady on the back & his 3 bambino's in front of him :huh: ....yappin' on his mobile phone....whilst dicing through traffic......All Helmetless! :unsure:

I'd wake up @ 3am to the sounds of loonies doing Warp factor 9 down the main strip on their SportsBikes every night!......Motorized Mayhem all week long! :D

But what was killing me.....is that I didn't have my bike to join in the fun! :P

girls look at guys on bikes admiringly! They even stop and watch you...and I've had a few waves too.

i get that all the time B) perhaps they dont feel threatened as i'm on a gay ass honda :unsure::lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online