Speed Sensor Unit XT125 X (2005)

stuarteske
This post is 3938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a speed sensor replacement for my XT. The old one was damaged when I was removing it from the mount on the fork. The blue wire was ripped from the terminal. As it is a sealed unit I don't think I can service it.

Can anyone suggest a way to replace/fix it?

Is there another make or model of bike with a sensor that will fit? I can cut the wires and solider another in its place.

Can anyone suggest a bike breakers? (£61 new)...

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Warm Regards

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Stuart, Ok first things first, you would not walk up to strangers and start asking questions would you? so PLEASE do an intro BEFORE you dive in with a question. Go to "new members" section on the front page of the forum and have a look see what others have said to give you the idea and then someone will be along to help you out. Not a problem mate just nice to introduce yourself before you start in on "How do I fix my bike?" :jossun:

PS welcome to the YOC Stuart, nice folks on here lot's of knowledge and helpful advice especially when you have said Hi. :eusa_whistle:

iv had a look on ebay but there doesn't seem to be any on there at the moment, nor is there any xt125's advertised as breaking for parts- so what i would say is try and open it up and fix it even if you have to glue it back together or whatever- at least worth a try at £61!

Good luck mate

Also you have the same model and year bike as i do- that's cool B)

Hi Stuart, Ok first things first, you would not walk up to strangers and start asking questions would you? so PLEASE do an intro BEFORE you dive in with a question. Go to "new members" section on the front page of the forum and have a look see what others have said to give you the idea and then someone will be along to help you out. Not a problem mate just nice to introduce yourself before you start in on "How do I fix my bike?" :jossun:

PS welcome to the YOC Stuart, nice folks on here lot's of knowledge and helpful advice especially when you have said Hi. :eusa_whistle:

I apologies for not introducing myself. I will get on and do that in a bit. I'm not accustom to using forums like this. I am more of a stack overflow guy.

iv had a look on ebay but there doesn't seem to be any on there at the moment, nor is there any xt125's advertised as breaking for parts- so what i would say is try and open it up and fix it even if you have to glue it back together or whatever- at least worth a try at £61!

Good luck mate

Also you have the same model and year bike as i do- that's cool B)

I agree, it's worth doing some dentistry on the sealed plastic unit. I can't believe new is £61.

I will try and post some pictures before, during and after. It's going to be a right pain dremel tooling the sensor.

Thanks you for looking to the part on my behalf.

What is the top speed of the bike. I haven't had a chance to run it on the road yet.

It's alright mate not the first to forget and sure wont be the last, in your own time if you would, Thanks. :jossun:

Don't get your hopes up about the top speed!

I once got it to say 72MPH going down a big old hill.....but on the flat you are looking at anything between 55-65MPH (give or take) completely depending on your size/weight.

The speed sensor is all fixed and working. MOT is booked for today. The dremal tool did the job, here are some pictures...

Broken sensor with the signal wire stripped.

photo_4.JPG

After the dentistry on the sealed plastic unit.

photo_3.JPG

Soldered.

photo_2.JPG

Sealed with a pot of melted glue gun sticks. 5 min resin is so expensive (£7), so I purchase 6 glue gun sticks (£1.69) and melted them down in a tin over he cooker hob.

photo_1.JPG

Not pretty at all but full working, total cost not including time, £1.80 opposed to £61.

• Like 2

confused.com do motorbike quotes and also try for Yamaha club deal

Remember to get as many quotes as possible from as many providers as you can track down- even if this means the dreaded hour or two of phone calls to providers.

Nice fix Stuart, always best to fix it yourself first even if you f**k it up. The insurance from the YOC is supposed to be competitive so give them a try. Good luck on the MOT.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online