Anyone recommend a WR250F as a good off-roader?

j0hn
This post is 4108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've always wanted to get into off-roading but just wasn't sure where to start. I was talking with a few people that suggested a WR250F was a good starter, which is also road registrable. It fits nicely under the 33BHP restriction and I think it's a good step up from my 125. I've also been told they have a very reliable engine and pretty easy to maintain, anyone currently owning or have owned one can confirm that? The one thing I'm worried about is the seat height. It's ~6 inches taller than my XT and I'm currently having to tip-toe slightly. I don't know how expensive it would be to lower a WR250F, if I were to get one.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

road registrable.......if you are gonna go through all the hassle of getting a bike road legal maybe the yz 250 could be the way to go?

But yeah i would love a WRF. :P

Not much help to you i'm afraid hahahah

YZ250 seems like it would need a lot more work done to make it road registrable. I'm hoping to buy a used WRF and most that I came across have been registered so it cuts the cost slightly.

Buy one that was bought.from a dealer registered. And do buy one. You wont regret it.

It's hard to find anyone selling an F model. I've came across a 2003 model (which includes the electric starter), but, I'm slightly on edge about buying a bike that's almost 10 years old.

I would say that how it has been looked after and how it's been used is more important then the age.

For example i would be more inclined to buy a 10 year bike off and older owner that uses it for the odd bit of greenlaning or whatever then a 2 year old bike that someone that has had on the track or 'had a go at enduro'.

The fact that someone is not technically minded might be of advantage to you, as these people tend to make sure their bike is booked in for a full service at the garage, so you will have paper work to know 100% that it has been done, but if someone says they do it them self's- yes they might well do but you will have no way of knowing how often and what has been changed.

Little things all make a difference :)

Age of the person doesn't really matter, just when i think of someone about 20-ish i think of my self and how i ride a bike...... :eusa_whistle:

Hey John get 1 you will love it compared, to the 125 it's a rocket,mine is a 01 and serviced every 1000 kms had to change the tranny bearings last rebuild.But the bike has been bulit proff yes parts wear but if you service it as per the service manual you will never have problems.The startor went in 2010. and thats was the only part that ever failed without notice

I would suggest to check when the valve's were last changed the spring pressure is very high and can wear at the stems of the valves where the keepers fit,and the spring's can warp

Know idea of your height but I'm only 5'10 (180 cm) and I have no problems with kick starting it,just took a bit to get used to the height.

All the yzf eng parts fit so you can hopp it up with cams easy.

Check the rear shock bushings they do wear alittle quickly,, other than that they wear like any other bike,the front shocks do require work to get the bike set up for your weight and best left to a suspenssion shop to get the most out of them.

I have kinda lost track of how many miles I have on my bike but it has to be over 20k all beating the m*ther *uckin crap out of it every ride,WFO every gear and I love the 3rd gear wheelies. Friends have bought King Till Mondays (KTM) and they all broke and my wr keeps up no problem and out lasted all of them.

If you looking at getting a newer bike the KAW is the HP king and pulls like no other bike,I've ridden 1 and liked it but keepin my wrf250 it's old and I love showing up guys on newer bikes.

Thanks for all the info. I'm now more than eager to get one :hyper: . It's great news knowing the height isn't a problem if you're 5'10 because I'm 5'8 (173cm), surely those two inches (at least some of it) could be shaved off the seat if it's an issue?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online