ooops

welshwan
This post is 4119 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got some new knobbly tires on the bike yesterday so thought i would do a spot of greenlaning

Went well for the first hour or so then....i went too quick through a large dip in the path (far too fast) and bottomed out my suspension, this got the numberplate to catch on the wheel, this smashed the reg plate to bits taking the left rear indicator with it AND also smashed the rear bearing :shakeno:

Had to get it just ticking over in first whilst walking very briskly alongside it for a mile or two then managed to get signal then got hold of family to come and fetch me, and the bike of course.

smashedreg.jpg

I found the bit with the reflector on the path and the rest was spread out through the grass on the side of the road.

Silly man

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Agreed and yeah it was the bike that took all the impact ...not me, thank fuck!

just a bit annoying having no bike for next couple of days! I already have a spare indicator just need to wait for bearing and reg...i will order tonight in hope that they will be sent out tomorrow for arrival on Tuesday ...we shall see

GROUCH STRIKES AGAIN.

Ooh... Great job on the number plate there!

Good job you're alright though Welshy. :-)

Get a flexI plate from Craigs plates. Especially if youre gonna be greenlaning often.

well certainly looks like you had fun for the first hour or so anyway! you'll soon have it back on the road, and like the others have said it could have been a lot worse

I feel for you Dude, nothing like that to get the blood boiling!

GROUCH STRIKES AGAIN.

It was a bit of a grouch move wasn't it? ahh well shit happens...... i guess i must have been going too quick or something also i'm not too convinced these bikes are designed to take much of a beating off the tarmac.

Ouch!!! maybe adjust the suspension pre-load next time eh?

Havent a clue how to do that mate :eusa_think: Could you please tell me how i would go about doing this?

Ooh... Great job on the number plate there!

Good job you're alright though Welshy. :-)

Yeah i didn't actually see it break but looking at the amount of pieces it is in would lead me to believe it pretty much just smashed/ exploded to bits on impact- i think i was lucky not to get a flat looking how sharp some of the bits were.

Yeah thanks i'm fine :jossun: , i didn't come off or anything - just the suspension fully compressed and the next thing to take the impact was the bearings.

Get a flexI plate from Craigs plates. Especially if youre gonna be greenlaning often.

Ordered a flexi one off ebay right after i posted, and a couple of inches smaller then the one i had....hopefully not too small as to be noticeably different from any other numberplate.

well certainly looks like you had fun for the first hour or so anyway! you'll soon have it back on the road, and like the others have said it could have been a lot worse

yeah mate, since it is off the road anyways i took the front half of the exhaust off today (as i had already painted the back part)and gave it a good clean and painted black- will have a good look over it tomorrow and finish painting, also got the indicator replaced.

Once that exhaust is back on and more importantly the sumpguard i'll get it up on a stand and take old bearings out and also i think a chain and sprocket change is long overdue! The other thing is i have had to make a numberplate bracket- nothing fancy just something to keep it on the bike and maybe angle it abit further from the wheel then before- almost finished it just need to make holes in it for bolts to secure it to the bike!

I feel for you Dude, nothing like that to get the blood boiling!

For sure, was about ready to push the fucker off the nearest ledge hahahaha only joking but what i will say is - it was good that no one was around to hear my language! :eusa_whistle:

Ouch!!! maybe adjust the suspension pre-load next time eh?

Havent a clue how to do that mate :eusa_think: Could you please tell me how i would go about doing this?

Have a look at the rear shock, should be a threaded ring around it at one end or the other, tightening (turning clockwise) should stiffen up the shock. I believe the XT also has a couple of mounting points for the bottom of the rear shock so you can adjust the height - might be worth a look if you want to avoid this sort of incident in future .......

aahhh thanks matey! I will have a crack at that as soon as i get a chance! Certainly need to do something to prevent a repeat of the other days incident!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online