Alter lever span without changing the levers

lilchef4982
This post is 4121 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

A quick question. Is it possible to alter the lever span without changing the levers?

My clutch lever is too much of a stretch for my short fingers and so riding through town with constant stop start and gear change is a real pain. Is there anyway to alter the lever span without weakening the lever so it is not such a stretch? i.e heating it up and bending the lever in etc etc

Looked on ebay and found some adjustables for the fzr1000. Would they be the same fitment?

much appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure about bending the one you have, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that, just that it might look abit odd compared to the brake lever? might look like you droped the bike or something lol, i only have about 3/4 of both my front levers due to being a silly bugger.

However the bike i used for my lessons and test had adjustable clutch and front brake levers, they just had a dial that you turn to change the distance that the levers where from the bar. it had 4 settings on it and the difference between 1 and 4 was a lot. They were easy to adjust and didn't take anytime you just turned the dial 1/4 turn for next setting. This might be abetter route to take? From what i could gather they weren't stock on his bike so must have been some kind of aftermarket part.

Hopefully this was of some assistance to you

These are a slightly different style to the ones i used but atleast u get the idea of what im trying to explain.

motorcycle-handlebar-brake-levers-for-ka

If they arnt adjustable already! What you could do is grind the heal off the lever until the main part is closer to the bars.

NB. The heal is the bit that pushes on the m/cylinder piston.

If you bend Aluminium it will weaken and break, that simple, as Welshwan says an adjustable heel is the way to go, preloads idea will work but the problem is that you will have to adjust the cable right out to it's full extent and then when it stretches (they all do) will have no way of adjusting it.

If they are cable forget what I said it wont work. You could put a 2-3mm spacer inbetween the lever and the lever bracket which would bring it closer to the bars.