TY250 Piston Rings help!

tt5th
This post is 6726 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, i was just hoping someone might have an opinion on how my piston rings should sit on my piston. Bike is a TY250 mono about 84.

Last bike i changed a piston on the rings where both the same but on this one they are two different shapes. One is your traditional ring and the other has an L shaped lip. Just to make it trickier their is nothing stamped on either ring, they are genuine yamaha rings and there is nothing in the manual.

Just wondering what anybody thought about which ring should go at the top and which way round the ring with the L shaped lip should go?

My thanks.

J.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like you have a dykes ring in there

the L fits in the top groove of the piston and makes it so the ring forms part of the piston crown for a higher compression

the dykes ring has a lower friction contact with the bore as it relies upon gas pressure to force it out