FZR 250 Inquiry

Xeno-Vibe
This post is 3948 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been offered a great deal on a FZR 250 (2KR) and to buy it, I would probably sell my current 07 CBR125R which I feel is a snail on the highways, especially with the strong winds around here. The bike I have been looking at is a grey market import and very uncommon for my country (Canada) as I have yet to find any solid information that's not in Japanese, I have joined this international forum in an attempt to hopefully find some guidance.

I have checked the search option but there were only a dozen threads most of which had no information whatsoever and had little response and the post count of the original posters were minimal at 2-3, so I don't believe I will be getting the PM response from them. If anyone knows, please post the information.

The FZR250 in question has 40,000km on the odo and is in fair condition. What I am interested in knowing is, what is a general idea of good mileage to rebuild the motor? Are there any other Yamaha models sold domestically in North America that have interchangeable parts? Should I avoid this motorcycle?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have been offered a great deal on a FZR 250 (2KR) and to buy it, I would probably sell my current 07 CBR125R which I feel is a snail on the highways, especially with the strong winds around here. The bike I have been looking at is a grey market import and very uncommon for my country (Canada) as I have yet to find any solid information that's not in Japanese, I have joined this international forum in an attempt to hopefully find some guidance.

I have checked the search option but there were only a dozen threads most of which had no information whatsoever and had little response and the post count of the original posters were minimal at 2-3, so I don't believe I will be getting the PM response from them. If anyone knows, please post the information.

The FZR250 in question has 40,000km on the odo and is in fair condition. What I am interested in knowing is, what is a general idea of good mileage to rebuild the motor? Are there any other Yamaha models sold domestically in North America that have interchangeable parts? Should I avoid this motorcycle?

A good friend of mine had one of these. They rev quite highly and are very complex for a 250cc machine.

I would say only buy it if it is for part-time leisure use. Cycle parts are interchangeable on many Yamahas, but the engine is only shared with one other machine (the Zeal?). Look for something a little more mainstream if you want a daily driver.

Also ensure it has had regular oil changes - remember it has all of the complexity of some big bikes, but none of the performance and parts may be very difficult to track down.

• 1 month later...

I do agree fzr 250 really revs high and quite a powerful bike that can compete with higher displacement bikes. But I think its to out dated and parts are getting harder to find. If I were in your shoe I would keep or sell the 07 CBR125R and get a better bike like above 400 or 600cc bikes, and get the fzr as a project bike.