1994 FZR600R front brake discs

Leyburn
This post is 4128 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I'm looking for info on the minimum thickness of a front dics. The unworn section of disc = 4mm, the worn section is 3.6mm. As far as I can work out from the internet, the minimum thickness before replacement is required is 3.5mm. 0.5mm of allowable wear doesn't seem very much, but then I'm probably comparing it to much thicker car discs where 2mm of wear is typically permitted. Any advice gratefully received!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

According to the Maintenance specs on your bike it is 0.5mm wear ie 4mm-new and at 3.5mm they need changing, as you say it is a small amount but it's across 2 discs so actually 1.00mm. not much else you can do I'm afraid other then fit replacement ones, will something else fit from another bike that might be a cheaper option? Should not say that really but 2 disc at about £50 each is a lot to shell out. Best I can offer you others might have a better idea. :jossun:

Got this info from www.fzrarchives.com/fzr600 it's a PDF file.

Thanks Slice, Yamaha price I've been quoted is approx £160 plus VAT per disc, so somewhere near £400 for a pair of discs. I've bought complete bikes for less. A pointer towards the £50 per disc would be much appreciated.

Any time I'm looking for cheap parts, first stop is good ol' ebay:

FZR600 Brake discs on t'bay - and there is a pair of pre-loved discs there for £100, plus a load of Chinese knock-off stuff which may well be up to spec.

Sorry my bad just thought they would be the same price as mine, but come to think about it I DID see somewhere saying £50 while I looked up your problem, can I suggest that you go to Google and type in FZR600R front brake disc wear, which is more or less the same as I did. Then on one of the forums, sorry I really can't remember which one, you will have to have a gander down the list, I saw something which said £50 for discs. I really can't remember more than that as I was looking for your specific problem and just shot past it as it was not what I was looking for but the price stuck in my head! :jossun:

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not that keen on pre-used components where brakes are concerned, I'll keep up the search for new replacement. I had hoped that the 0.5mm wear was only half way! But clearly not :(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online