1981 exciter 250 won't start

jeffw11
This post is 4128 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

New battery last year and charged up this spring. Go to start the bike and all it does is click. Last year when it would do that, I would move the bike forward to backward in gear and then it would start fine. I replaced the solenoid but still have the same problem.

Question, how easy is it to remove the starter to have it checked or replaced?

Bike will start when push starting it but it would be nice to have it work correctly.

Thanks for any imput.

Jeff

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jeff, It's usual to do an INTRO "new members section" BEFORE you ask a question :eusa_doh: , just polite to introduce yourself before asking strangers for information, we are NOT grumpy about it but like to get to know you before some will answer your question. It's not an uncommon mistake for new people to make so if you would be so kind as to do an INTRO we would be much obliged.

As to your actual question, it sounds like you starter motor brushes are shot, easy to do once you have the motor out, also check that the ARMATURE is not worn (copper rotating bit that the brushes rest on) if it is worn then you can either replace the whole motor or take it to your local engineering works and they should be able to recut the faces for you, will not be the cheapest fix, other wise get a second hand motor from Ebay or such and put new brushes in it before you install it. Hope that helps? :jossun:

PS Welcome to the YOC, always nice to have new folks join in and help others out. :jossun:

Thanks for the info. Now, any step by step guide for pulling the engine to get the the starter? I'm new to bikes but have no problem getting my hands dirty and would enjoy a project like this. As this bike only cost me $400 3 years ago, if I screwed it up, I wouldn't feel too bad. The main reason for getting it going again is that my wife wants to learn to ride and this bike seems good for that.

Thanks again for the info,

Jeff

Definitely get a Haynes/service manual for the step-by-step info. :)

Jeff, Not sure but pulling the engine OUT to remove the starter seems a bit extreme pretty sure you just undo a couple of bolts take off the battery cable and out it comes, might be in a fiddly place but you really need a manual, we have HAYNES in the UK I think your version is called CLYMER? Not sure about that but others will know, anyway most bikes just need the basics done to get them up and running not like a car in any respect really. Just make sure you have good oil and a descent set of plugs and it should be no problem, regular service and it will last you for years. Good luck getting the starter sorted. :jossun:

Thanks for the info. I'll check for a CLYMER manual for this bike. One other question. I need to know what model this bike is. I know it is a 1981 exciter 250. My title says rs250 but from everything i've seen online, it looks exactly like a sr250. It has the older 9 digit VIN number so I am unable to look it up. The VIN is:

5V0-002736

Is there anyway to decode this number?

The reason for decoding is that I'm having a hard time finding the manual for this bike.

Thanks again everyone,

very much appreciated,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, if you go to the WORKSHOP section you will find a VIN decoder on the top left of the page, it MIGHT have what your looking for otherwise just do a Google search for VIN decoders online and see what comes up, I have an 1983 bike and managed to find the details some years ago but sorry to say cant for the life of me remember where it was only remember that it was on a Google search engine site, remember to type 9 digit vin decoder otherwise you will get them all and be retired before you find the one your looking for. otherwise try your local Yam dealer he/she should have access to the whole range of info just remember to say "PLEASE or send the wife!!!!! Good luck with your search. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online