XJ 600 oil leak

Neil1961
This post is 4129 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you changed the oil filter lately ?

I would fit a new one, change oil while at it make sure you clean area well before fitting new one,smear a bit of engine oil on seal before fitting.

Yip " be blowing back thru breather, into air-box . :eusa_think: is it over filled with oil. ?

My guess is the same as Blackhat, over filled or blowing back through breather. :jossun:

I owned an xj600 divy and think I may know what ur experiencing. Is the oil coming out of the breather tube that runs back into the air box? And does it only leak out after you park up from a ride? Does the engine oil look creamy? And what year of xj600 is it?

I had a 98 xj600 and it was air cooled engine, I used to do a lot of short commutes on it and what I found was that the engine wouldn't get enough heat in it over the 15min ride to burn off any water vapour that can result from condensation within the engine casing. But when I went for a long ride and parked up all this brown oil/water mix would pour out of the breather tube. When I looked in the engine the oil was all creamy so that was the signs of water in there (note it was air cooled so before anyone says it, it's not the head gasket as there was no water cooling..)

The breather tube links back to the air box, and there is another breather tube going from the engine casing to the same box. What's meant to happen is that any vapour is meant to evaporate from within the engine and escape up the tube, condense in the air box and drop out of the other tube onto the ground.

If your having similar problems I managed to fix mine by

-changing the air filter (as the old one sucked anyway)

-taking the air box and breather pipes (both one to engine and one to the open air) out and running a pipe cleaner down them (I found there was a lot of oil crud gathered within them which doesn't help the escaping vapour)

-there is a t connector that joints the breather pipe to the air box, again run a pipe cleaner through it

- put it all back together and finally go for a long ride to get the engine up to temp, a lot of crap may leak out but that's fine

- now check the oil for signs of moisture (ie is it white or creamy?) it shouldn't be, and check the oil level (fill up as required)

- after I did this mine ran perfectly with no further leaking,

Hope this helps!