Yamaha SR125 CDI Wiring

beeza geeza
This post is 3996 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I am a little confused with the wiring of the electronic ignition on a 1993 SR125

Book shows:-

4 wires going to the pulser coils, 2 to each, (are both pulser coils for timing?)

1 wire going to the Ignition coil, as expected

3 wires just going between the electronic ignition to the sidestand relay

The other wire on the sidestand relay going to the sidestand, neutral, and clutch switches

Why 3 wires between the two, is this a diagram mistake?

and lastly (maybe not) what actually powers the CDI

Hope you can help

Ade

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

n

Hi All

I am a little confused with the wiring of the electronic ignition on a 1993 SR125

Book shows:-

4 wires going to the pulser coils, 2 to each, (are both pulser coils for timing?)

1 wire going to the Ignition coil, as expected

3 wires just going between the electronic ignition to the sidestand relay

The other wire on the sidestand relay going to the sidestand, neutral, and clutch switches

Why 3 wires between the two, is this a diagram mistake?

and lastly (maybe not) what actually powers the CDI

Hope you can help

Ade

i'm not familiar with the bike ade, nor do I have a wiring diagram to refer to

However, the bike is a single cylinder so it will only have one pulser coil...the other coil being the 'source coil'.

is there a brown wire to the CDI? brown is often the switched live on these older bikes but not sure about yours

the collection of wires to the stand, clutch and neutral will take care of the safety interlocks, the ignition will be cut if put in gear with the stand down...maybe not if the clutch is pulled but I dunno about that

black wires are chassis or -ve and perhaps each of the engine coils have a black connection?

Hi again All

I think I should share a little more information about the fault/s I am having

Original Fault - Bike would start after a lot of effort sounded awful, then usually ran for a while without much power then dies

So far found that tappet gaps were non existent, in fact probably pushing valves slightly open, now adjusted

Cam chain clattering around, never been adjusted, now adjusted

Carb and jets dirty, mixture screw out 5 1/2 turns instead of 1 to 1 1/2, float touching top of chamber, all now cleaned, jets are correct, mixture and float adjusted

Leak in air hose from carb to engine due to wrong size hose, now corrected

also HT lead, plug and plugcap changed, Petrol tap filter was clean, air filter cleaned, oil changed, brakes done etc etc etc

Fault now - Has trouble starting but when it does it sound great,

Once started I can turn it off and it will normally start straight away easily without even warming up, but the next day same symptons

Some times it will just cut out while ticking over and the refuse to start again (Petrol fine)

Spark did look very weak when the bike was not working, other days spark looks fine (rotating 4 new spark plugs)

Purchased second hand coil and fitted

Still the same problem (I could of course be unlucky and bought a coil with the same fault)

New battery fitted today (though I did not think this was the fault)

Started after not to much trouble, went out for a ride, sounded lovely up to 50mph with no problems

Got home turned corner 1st gear it died and has not started again since!!

Spark again does look a little weak

Can Electronic ignition affect the spark density? in theory it just shorts the coil to earth at the correct moment and the coil defines the power of the spark.

Help Appreciated, Ade

(Next step tomorrow is to measure the Pulser and Source coil resistance, I deduce from the last reply the Source Coil is the power for the CDI)

yeah check the ohms value of the source coil and pulser coil and compare them to spec usually + - 10% specs in the workshop manual and sometimes in the parts book under 'Service Data' also the ignition coil (HT coil) can be checked against spec in the same way

Yes the source coil is power and the pulse coil is trigger for the ignition

is the HT cap to HT lead connection good?

I'd try a new cap and cut 10mm from the end of the lead and re-make that connection...caps are usually 5k ohm but again that will be in the manual

Just an update to my wiring question incase anybody need the info in the future

"3 wires just going between the electronic ignition to the sidestand relay"

My 1982 to 1996 Haynes Manual wiring diagram for the 1991 onwards models is WRONG

Real wiring - One of the wires goes to the On/Kill switch, one to Earth and the third does go to the sidestand relay

Now seems a lot more logical

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online