Rain Rain Rain

twincle
This post is 3947 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well I have only don 900 miles since passing my test and the last few days have been real nice with the weather being sunny. I love being part of the 'nodding' club but no-one to nod to today when I had to make a 2 hour round trip from Byfleet to Newbury in the worst that it could throw down- on the M4 :(

What can I say, the Ixon clothing kept my clothes dry and feeling a little warmer :hyper: , the Dianese boots at £100+ were NOT waterproof :madflame: , my Racer gloves at £100+ were waterproof .... for the 1st hour :madflame:, the Bluetronics bluetooth comms got soaked and gave up after 30 minutes so no more tunes on the m/way :madflame: but I gained a little confidence in riding in the wet even if the cars thought i was mad doing 10mph on roundabouts :eusa_shifty: It got so bad on the M4 that I came off and took the 'A' road at a slower pace and no chance of being run off at the next junction by a late turner

Its not something i want to do again in a hurry, especially when looking at the state of the bike when I got home, but nothing a quick wipe down didnt cure and on with the cover :spin2:

I was in J&S the other day and tried on some Alpinestars Toucan's and they felt the business - does anyone else own a [air and if so are they really waterproof?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I nearly forgot, I was soo cold I went in to the services near Theale and pulled up behind another biker at the entrance when parking. He commented 'nice bike m8' and as i'm getting used to it I acknowledged him and went to buy a coffee and get warm quick. When I came out I only then realised but he was also riding .... an XJ6 Diversion :hyper: His was older but ..... he had heated grips, scott oiler, full tank bag, michelin pilots and .... an arrow exhaust system which sounded sweet!!! He actually made sure he started it before i left just so he could make me jeleous (which he succeeded)

Having been an all weather rider since I started (the bike's my only transport), I'm used to the numb fingers damp clothes and visor so misty it's like riding in fog.

Over the years I've discovered

- Waterproof isn't waterproof after 100 miles at 60-80 mph in the p***ing rain

- All weather gloves / heated grips don't stop the very tips of your fingers freezing till you can't feel them

- Nobody has invented an anti-mist spray that lasts for more than one day riding in an English winter.

Been goodish weather up here, dry but cool, :jossun: out on bikes every night, for short runs , and even in early mornings to town pick up rolls and paper before leavin for work,, makin the nost of this dry weather , as June last year was wettest on record,

Glad your gettin experience Twinkle, you"l be surprized at the amount of grip in the wet, :yeah:

Boots - both my Daytona Alkon (Hein Gericke stuff) and my Alt-berg Hoggs have proved to be 100% waterproof, lesser boots may need Sealskinz socks to give them an edge.

Gloves - Hein Gericke again, Shelltex does work.

Visor - Pinlock, that is all!

8 hours plus on the bike in pissing down wet stuff will eventually lead to it finding the cracks, but using the best gear you can afford (and looking after that gear properly) will give you the best chance of staying on the 'slightly damp' side of "where's me wetsuit?".

Whats irritating is the boots are actually marked 'waterproof' by Dianese on the fastenings :madflame: Still you live and learn, and yes the pinloc earned its money today for me! I have a pair of seal skinz but didnt think i'll need them with such a good pair of boots :(

that's why i liked my cx500, you can warm your hands on top of the cylinders and you tucked your feet in behind them giving your boots a nice warm feeling.

that's why the couriers also liked them

The only thing that I can say on motorbike boots is about the one I use I have used then in the peeing rain, snow, and when the temps were down to -7 my feet where warm as toast I got them in a sale last Nov and they have never let water they are called Bars Aquaboot they have never let me down and where Cherokee as chips

that's a healthy looking silencer on the bike in the picture above - main thing I worry about in damp conditions is stopping distances, being able to see and the dreaded diesel.

thought my boots were ok until on a trip to the coast got them wet in the sea and ended up with soggy feet, stupidly over confident that they were totally waterproof - no fool like an old fool.

come to think that was quite a funny day as I had a reflective jacket on, like Council workers ones, just to make me more visiblite on the bike with a leather jacket under

- anyway a woman asks me wherther her dog was Ok on the beach, forgetting the jacket I was wearing, I was taken aback wondering why she thought I should know until the penny dropped.

that's why i liked my cx500, you can warm your hands on top of the cylinders and you tucked your feet in behind them giving your boots a nice warm feeling.

that's why the couriers also liked them

Showing yer age there Drew!!!!

Although - I DO agree with you.... :eusa_whistle:

CT :jossun:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online