Silly question but I have to ask

paul-666
This post is 4062 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This may be a silly question but I'm going to ask in any ways how do you learn how to ride with a pillion as I have never rode a bike ( a part from a peddle bike ) with some one on the back as I don't fancy dropping me and the wife as we have 4 kids so how did you lot get to grips with having some one on the back of the bike ? all tips would be greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've allways said to my pillions, don't get on or off the bike til I say. Otherwise they will unbalance the bike.

Also pull away slowly and try not to brake suddenly (except in an emergency)

Basic instructions I give to any pillion biatch:

1. Don't get on until I tell you, I need to be ready

b. When you're on, keep your feet up on the pegs at all times

iii. Get comfy before we move off, fidgeting will upset the bike

d. Hold onto my waist (gently, no death grips) or the grab rail

5. Try to keep your body in line with mine, don't anticipate the bends, just go with the flow

z. RELAX

For the rider, just try to be as smooth as possible, early gearchanges with a gentle clutch hand to reduce the chance of that fore'n'aft jerk, early smooth braking, taking into account the extra weight (you did remember to up the preload on the rear shock, didn't you?) and no Rossi-like knee down bollocks, you want them to enjoy the ride, not end up with brown stains all over the seat!

also helps if they are lighter than you! my first pillion was my best mate, im only a smidge over 10 stone and he is a rugby player coming in at about 18-19 stone....................was an interesting ride all be it only round the block.

also i agree with Kirrie Pete

Don't forget to up the rear preload if you can and if doing high, sustained speed whack a couple of extra psi in the back tyre. Personally i'd say give the pillion a job to do - navigation, as it gives them a focus and will let them relax. Agree a communication system like taps on the shoulder etc.

In addition to the above:

1. PLEASE make sure your wife is wearing appropriate gear. Shocking to see so many blokes on sports bikes actually allowing their lady to get on the back of the bike with heels / t-shirts / inappropriate trousers etc.

2. If you're planning on pillioning on your YBR, just expect it to feel top heavy, cramped and not as stable as a larger bike. In fact, if you're trying to get your wife to enjoy the experience, maybe forewarn her, so she'll know it'll be nicer on a larger bike (thus an incentive to let her get you one sooner!)

3. If you have a bike with a topbox, it can help some pillions feel more secure, but the compromise I found as a pillion was that it was more cramped. Guess it depends on the size of the bike, but worth saying.

4. Practice them getting on and off the bike so they feel comfortable. Try and get them to make it as smooth as possible. Although entertaining for the passer-by, it's not good for you if you have to counteract their lunge onto the bike, plus there's more risk of you dropping the bike.

5. Guessing you won't have an intercom. As a result, work on a little code language before you set off. Just something simple like a pat (not smack) on your shoulder if she is shitting herself and wants to stop! Overtime you can develop your own way of communicating.

6. Don't expect either of you to be a natural at this. It's a new thing for both of you and you both need to feel comfortable. Take time to learn this together. If you have access to an off-road area, go there and practice, then move onto early morning rides when traffic is less. Keep it smooth and tell her if she does anything that's wrong (fidgeting or grabbing you too tight), that way she can learn.

That's just my input from a pillion perspective. I don't have any experience myself as a rider with pillion, but certainly carry out the neccessary bike adjustments (headlight, mirrors, rear preload, tyre pressure).

Pillion riding was my first experience of motorbikes, and look at me now! It's so addictive, and great fun sitting on the back of the bike. I really hope she enjoys herself, and you never know - she may end up with your YBR once you move onto grander things...! :jossun:

Also let them know when your going to give it some shit so they can prepare............

Not like this guy. Poor girl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU_edukfngE

Jeez! That looked incredibly painful...!

thankfully she wasn't badly hurt, and that the wheel locked up other wise i would think she would have come off a shit load worse.

Roll into corners gently and the same coming out DON'T have wild swings of speed just do everything smoothly, overtaking should be done with notice, nothing worse than winding on the throttle and your pillion is hanging off the arse of the bike (see above) think SMOOTH/GENTLE and you should be fine. Make it fun it is after all supposed to be enjoyable so have a goal and treat yourselves when you get there (cup of tea/coffee bacon sarny) plus don't make it to long, 15 minutes will be enough to get used to a different type of travel. Hope you enjoy yourself. :jossun:

Took the ex missus foamy (Laura) from Lydney to Bournemouth on the XJ, she was a natural considering she hadnt been on a bike before, i find its best to keep both feet on the ground and the front brake on whilst they are getting on or off and take everything nice and gentle, allow plenty of time for overtaking and braking (usually a good indication to the passenger that you are preparing to overtake is changing down a gear and doing a lifesaver check), other than that watch out for your pillion looking over your shoulder or moving around too much at slow speed or on corners, especially in traffic or when filtering as this will alter the bikes CofG and attitude, resulting in you altering your course to compensate.

most importantly of all, keep your bike up to scratch, check your tyre pressures and make sure they are in accordance with the owners handbook (most bikes have a section which describes the changes needed to carry a pillion, on the XJ it was +3psi in the rear tyre and up a position on the shock its one thing if i have an accident due to poor maintanence, but i never used to carry a pillion unless i knew for a fact that bike was in tip-top condition, if something happens to them you are accountable and will have to live with the guilt

also watch out for strong gusts of wind especially on a YBR, used to go across the seven bridge two-up and it was hard work when it was windy, sometimes leaning right over

the main issue is that inexperienced passengers try and keep upright - ie: they don't naturally lean with you into a corner, once they do keep their top half in line with what you are doing no real probs except you may find you get a bit squashed into the fuel tank and your helmets bang together a few times.

This aint going to happen on my YBR as where I live is very hilly and the YBR won't pull two people up the main bank back up to where I live, I have said before that the YBR struggles with just me on I'm not a big bloke I'm only 5'8" and 11.5 stone so I don't think it will drag me and some one else up here. I do have a lad I work with who could be my test dummy lol

Heh i remember years back taking a mate of mine to margate from northamton.

All was well till a set of roundaboutsaround 20 mile from margate. Now gone. The dosy fecker had fallen asleep. He weiged 18 stone and i weighed 12.

I didnt know he was asleep so as i went for more exhaust scraping giggles he practically falls off. Wakes up in the process ans sits up. I had to force the bike like a wrestler to make it round.

Very funny later. We still tell the story over a beer....

• Like 1

Depending on the bike and pillion position, try to remember they are higher up than you when filtering especially past lorry or bus with high wing mirrors that you may fit under but pillion doesn't!

I would definitely reiterate foamys comment on the c of g, a pillion raises the c of g up making the bike feel more twitch and unstable at slow speeds, you can't lean it like you would riding alone at slow speed so you will find yourself steering the bars more.

Other than the great tips from the guys above I would just say find a road that's quiet and your comfortable with for that first time and enjoy :)

Don't forget that the pillion's knees generally stick out further than yours, so in addition to Norcot's comment about height, also consider your width.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online