1976 DT-80 Kickstart problem/Rollstart problem

76DT80
This post is 4131 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1976 Yamaha DT-80 with 280 miles on it in near mint condition, but there seems to be a problem with the kickstart or engine, not sure. I am new to bikes and got this bike off my mom, and was just wondering if there was some steps I could take to diagnose it. It actually ROLL STARTS just fine.

hulV7bj.jpg

WNVRnkj.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, When you say it roll starts I suppose you mean that if you bung it in 2nd gear and roll it along & let the clutch out it fires up and runs ok? If the kick start has a problem it could be anything really as your not describing your problem very well, I know your new to bikes so what does it actually do? Does the kick start actually turn the engine over? or does it just go straight down with out turning the engine over or does it jam in place, the mechanism for the kick start is quite simple really just a cog on the shaft usually with a spring to return it to an upright position, if either of these is broken or damaged then the simple answer is to replace one or both of them, unless the shaft is damaged which is a much more complicated procedure but doable if you have the right tools. SO try to describe EXACTLY what the kick start does and someone will no doubt be able to tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. :jossun:

Please do an "INTRO" New members section so folks get to know you, we are strangers to you same as you are to us, it's polite to say Hi before you launch into questions on how to fix your bike.

PS That is a lovely little bike by the way, keep it looking like that and you will be the envy of your friends. :jossun:

Hi, When you say it roll starts I suppose you mean that if you bung it in 2nd gear and roll it along & let the clutch out it fires up and runs ok? If the kick start has a problem it could be anything really as your not describing your problem very well, I know your new to bikes so what does it actually do? Does the kick start actually turn the engine over? or does it just go straight down with out turning the engine over or does it jam in place, the mechanism for the kick start is quite simple really just a cog on the shaft usually with a spring to return it to an upright position, if either of these is broken or damaged then the simple answer is to replace one or both of them, unless the shaft is damaged which is a much more complicated procedure but doable if you have the right tools. SO try to describe EXACTLY what the kick start does and someone will no doubt be able to tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. :jossun:

Please do an "INTRO" New members section so folks get to know you, we are strangers to you same as you are to us, it's polite to say Hi before you launch into questions on how to fix your bike.

PS That is a lovely little bike by the way, keep it looking like that and you will be the envy of your friends. :jossun:

Okay when you kick it down, it sort of slips and you can hear the engine turn over sometimes. Let me see if I can get a video.

Ok looked at the vid and it seems that you have a problem with the gear inside the casing. If you take the side case off -remove kick start (1 bolt) then drain the oil, you should then be able to take the screws off of the casing, start with the ones by the oil filler, after you have that off you will see the kick start mechanism on the shaft, should be something like a spring and what I can only describe as a quarter of a gear, bit like the segment of an orange if that makes sense? then you can see what is going on inside, if the gear is damaged you will see that some of the teeth are damaged or missing or it might just be a broken spring, if its neither of those then it might be the actual kick start drive shaft that is worn or damaged, that will require much more than I can possibly do over the internet so you have to buy a manual for your bike showing the engine in exploded diagrams. It might be an easy fix but until you have it apart you will never know, the other option is to take it to your local Yam dealer and ask what it would cost to fix it. Hope some of that helped!! Good luck and let us know how your getting on. :jossun:

I find it hard to believe, that a bike with 280 mls has a fecked kicker, :eusa_think: unless someones had the case off, . could be the retun spring needs located. as the ratchet is catching , :shrug: