Idling on yamaha xt125

Agibson3hr2
This post is 4145 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So today I turned up the revs a little bit on my xt125 by turning the screw on my carb. It now Idles lovely and doesn't cut out on me constantly... BUT (there's always a but) now when I give my bike some throttle, the revs are staying high and taking a while to come back down to the right idle RPM.

Any help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You are having the same problem as a lot of people do, the idle jet is set to one measure and the fast running jet is set to another, if you get to close to the fast running jet settings then it will not come back down as quickly as it should, this is what you have described, try adjusting the timing to get your idle to run properly, this is the only thing I can think of that will cure your problem, you should turn your idle down anyway as if you leave it as it is at the moment you run the risk of it NOT shutting down when you approach a junction and running into traffic when you are effectively out of control of the bike, not something you want to do!! If all else fails have a word with your local Yam dealer workshop and see what it will cost to get it set up properly, usually around £30, money well spent when you think about it as getting stuffed up the back of someone's car or running into a bush cos you can't stop is not good for your self esteem. Best I can suggest for you, someone else might have a better fix on here tho. :jossun:

You are having the same problem as a lot of people do, the idle jet is set to one measure and the fast running jet is set to another, if you get to close to the fast running jet settings then it will not come back down as quickly as it should, this is what you have described, try adjusting the timing to get your idle to run properly, this is the only thing I can think of that will cure your problem, you should turn your idle down anyway as if you leave it as it is at the moment you run the risk of it NOT shutting down when you approach a junction and running into traffic when you are effectively out of control of the bike, not something you want to do!! If all else fails have a word with your local Yam dealer workshop and see what it will cost to get it set up properly, usually around £30, money well spent when you think about it as getting stuffed up the back of someone's car or running into a bush cos you can't stop is not good for your self esteem. Best I can suggest for you, someone else might have a better fix on here tho. :jossun:

My bike is only just idling above 1200 not like it's idling higher than it should be... It's just that the revs aren't coming back down as fast after throttling.

Oh and if I go any lower my bike just will not idle at all. Just cuts out :(

Edited by Agibson3hr2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online