Divvy stand

cidered666
This post is 6869 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, 1st-off apologies if I do something wrong as this is my 1st posting and I'm on a steep learning-curve.

After some 15+ years away from biking I have made a return with the purchase of an XJ600n diversion. It is (hopefully) going to be a weekend fun-bike and weekday commuter. I also intend as a hobby to tackle most maintainance jobs myself.

I recently removed the centre-stand to re-grease the bolts/pins and am in the process of re-fitting. I am struggling to replace the spring which holds the stand in place when retracted. Is there a technique anybody can recommend or a certain tool required?? Or, is it a case of brute-force and ignorance??

Any comments suggestions would be gratefully received. :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1st of all...... :welcome: to the Forum

Now if your Divvy is anything like my old XJ550 (prolly pretty similar ;) )....

It's easiest to hook the spring on 1st....then thread the pivot bolts in after,

whilst the stand is in the retracted position......@ least I found it easiest to do it this way ;)

HTH :)

Another old dodge is to flex the spring, and as the coils open up, insert washers or thin coins between them. Do this on alternate sides, and the spring should be long enough to fit in the retracted position. You then just cycle the stand once and the coins drop out! I used to use that on bikes that had rear wheel stands! Anyone remember them?

I used to use that on bikes that had rear wheel stands! Anyone remember them?

I DO!.....But TBH, the 1st thing I did to my old 550 Seca, was remove that centerstand! :o

Just tryin' to save weight & improve fuel mileage ;) I'd just keep the stand in the garage & throw it on for routine chain maintenance ;)

So howz life been treatin' ya Ross?....I see they like to flick you the sh*t over @ USA2strokers! :rolleyes:

Hi there from a fellow Divvy owner.

Agree with the previous replies, brute force and stand springs tends to equal skinned knuckles in my experience, so try the other options first.

You might want to have a look at this forum; http://www.bikersoracle.com/yamahadiversion/forum/index.php

for Divvy owners.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Yamahead.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm fine (Well, pretty good for my age) and I must confess, I have been having a lot of fun with the rednecks on 2strokers! There have been times when I've been pretty unpopular on Alek's site too!

Removing the centrestand might make sense on shaft drives, but trying to maintain a chain with only a sidestand is a real pain, and you tend to neglect the job. Well, I do anyway.

I have been having a lot of fun with the rednecks on 2strokers! There have been times when I've been pretty unpopular on Alek's site too!

Removing the centrestand might make sense on shaft drives, but trying to maintain a chain with only a sidestand is a real pain, and you tend to neglect the job. Well, I do anyway.

Ross....you're just a sh*t-stirrer from down under aren't ya? :D

I removed the centerstand on my old XJ550 purely for weight savings reasons :rolleyes: .....along with bump-starting it for the last 6 years I rode it :blink: .....due to the expense of replacing the starter ($200+) :o ......What can I say?....I'm a skint bast*rd :D

After 13 years of daily riding on that beast, I had chain maintenance down to a science by using that stand @ least 3 times a week for routine checks in my garage ;) .....always knew I'd have to reinstall it if I were to take real bike trip.....& not just the daily 50 mile commute. Ironically, after the Seca.......I rode an XJ750 Maxim (shaftie) for 4.5 years, of which I used the centerstand on it daily whilst parking......ALOT more stable ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online