86 fz600 clutch noise

philfz600
This post is 4136 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

this project is close to an end and all i ahve left is this rattle/clunking noise in the cluth housing.
i took the housing off to seek out the source and below is what i found.

the first one is with the clutch plates off but the housing on.

the second is with everything off and you should be able to notice the sound goes away.

is this a normal sound and im "searching" for problems? or does this sound louder then it should be. the noise is just as loud with the cover on btw.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And with the clutch fully assembled and oil in the gearbox it sounds....

sorry i guess i could have added more details.

the sound in the first video is very close to the same sound i get with all assembled. i have found in the clutch housing that one of the gears has a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch of play so i am working on a simple fabrication to reduce that slop. after some research alot of people claim that to be the problem.

the springs are all tight and look good.

poss the lash needs setting on the clutch basket to primary gear.

They are usually paired together with letter b or something

Don't wish to sound to pesamistic but it could be something deeper in the engine, 1 vid is noisy but the shaft is turning where as the 2 vid the shaft is not turning, could it actually be deeper in the engine? NOT saying it is just a thought. Is there any way to turn the shaft without the clutch cage being in place (engine running)? It could be a gearbox or selector rattle. Sorry about that didn't mean to be a worry wart. :eusa_think:

PS When the engine stops turning on vid 1 there is a definite noise as the engine dies like a snap sound, was wondering if it might be the selector mech? Click on it at about 7/8 seconds in.

• 2 weeks later...

well i tried to adjust the cam chain but the p.o. broke the bolt that loosens the spring for adjustment. ordered new and installed, (lined up the C on the left side which is what the book tells me, loosened the nut a lil and retightened. still rattles. not cam chain? went back to drawing boards. reviewed youtube videos of others who all still seemed to be A. carb tuning B. cam chain tensioner, or C. loose gears in the clutch housing.

as far as what drewpy states, i didnt even look at the gears to check for markings. i guess ill take it all back apart and see.

if i recall correctly the top gear (starter gear?) has a ton of "play" and is only held on my a clip. i may have to take a closer look at the gears and see if perhaps i need to adjust the gears in some form.

and to Slice's comment, i prey it is not any deeper in engine, i do however think i hear the snap u speak of. perhaps thats when the shaft stops spinning and the gear continues to try and rotate (taking up the slack i speak of) and slaps against the shaft?? the timing i hear it sounds as if its at the very end of the bike running, right as it dies.

update: took the clutch cover and clutch back apart today to check that gear, (oil pump gear) and managed to lock it down. found that the main bolt that holds the clutch housing down came a bit loose, and tightened that up real snug. Now upon start up noise is a bit less but still there.

put bike in first gear and release clutch until bike just starts to slightly move and at this point the noise goes away. So no noise under load.

pull in clutch, noise comes back.
release clutch in first gear noise is gone.

i feel like this^ should help with solving this issue alot.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online