Dangerous Overtake

Norcot
This post is 4015 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, im new to this forum but thought i would share a video from this weekend that i got from my GoPro.

For about a 2 miles (riding at the 50mph speed limit) a white van had been tail gating me, I rode in a defensive position as you should to avoid encouraging an overtake unless they are sure they have the space. He then makes an overtake, breaking the speed limit and forces my friend to move over due to an oncoming car.

It may not look significant but what if the car oncoming had to swerve to avoid something kerb side? What if the biker on the left had to avoid a pot hole? What if the biker nor the driver was paying attention to the situation?

Luckily all was fine this time. Here is the video we caught during the incident, what do you think? I would like to hear other opinions as I am biased after being angered by the van driver tailgating me!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WuX7Ms43-Os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please share your videos and experience of dangerous motorists if you have any

Be Safe

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ther are lots of dickheads like this norcot,,, good film quallity , go pro " how mutch,,, :eusa_think:

Thanks blackhat, I try to be courteous but sometimes just can't help getting worked up. It's a gopro 2 that I used, think they are about £160 to £180 new now as the gopro 3 is out which is closer to £300!

That was first time I had the camera on the bike. Here's more from that day, great camera, would recommend one if you like that sort of thing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ua2bY1eIK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1

Your a wizard with the slow-mo, etc, great shot with the plane going over,,,, :thumb: . hows about wind noise,,,

Spot on pilninggas, I think it's just before star. Good road to ride normally, don't usually have people over taking especially when we're at the speed limit.

Blackhat, the wind noise is usually pretty loud on these videos which is why I cut it out and put music over it. You can hear engine noise (depending on your exhaust I guess) up to about 50 or so. It comes with two case backings, one with open bits so the microphone picks up more, or one which is waterproof which is sealed and makes the sound more muffled. Generally the sound isn't great though. If you are particular about noise you can buy extras and plug in a better mic that works better with wind.. I have no experience of this though.

Good vids. Re: the first one you should have given it to the police - I'm sure they could have pulled the license plate and sent a summons

Good vids. Re: the first one you should have given it to the police - I'm sure they could have pulled the license plate and sent a summons

I will look into this thanks, Though my intentions are not against this driver solely, but rather to all motorists driver or biker, to have a think before over taking a bike.

Ther are lots of dickheads like this norcot,,, good film quallity , go pro " how mutch,,, :eusa_think:

I wish there was something more that could be done with tailgaters, I just seem so powerless in such situations.

Also, not bashing on GoPros but I've got a Contour Roam and they are more discrete. The small form factor also means less wind resistance. The Contour on the left is slightly cheaper too. Here is a picture to compare both.

3wrMyY6.jpg

For arguments sake swap the two bikes for cars and the van for a bike. Same spacing same gap at the red car. Would you still have an issue?

I would say so, I personally wouldn't overtake on a single carriageway with on coming traffic no matter the gap. But I am captain slow on my bike :P my fear again is all it would take is one of the cars not to be aware of you and swerve for a pot hole. I would have waiting for the car to pass first. What are you thoughts?

I wish there was something more that could be done with tailgaters, I just seem so powerless in such situations.

Also, not bashing on GoPros but I've got a Contour Roam and they are more discrete. The small form factor also means less wind resistance. The Contour on the left is slightly cheaper too. Here is a picture to compare both.

3wrMyY6.jpg

The contour does look nice and discrete, is the quality comparable to the gopro? The gopro has a massive assortment of mounts which is good but they do cost a lot for essentially bits of plastic!

sorry for the spam but I found a very useful review about action cams... 45 min, a full comparison sony vs gopro

enjoy

The contour does look nice and discrete, is the quality comparable to the gopro? The gopro has a massive assortment of mounts which is good but they do cost a lot for essentially bits of plastic!

I record in 720p so I get a bigger FOV and smaller file size, check out my channel for comparison on quality (select 720p HD ofc). I would say GoPro might be slightly better in quality but the cost of a GoPro doesn't warrant the difference, imo. The Contour also has a large selection of mounts and of course over priced like the mounts for GoPro. The standard fitting kit that comes with the Contour is perfect for a motorcyclist.

Here is how I have mine attached.

AcerbisActiveDualSportContour.jpg

I would say so, I personally wouldn't overtake on a single carriageway with on coming traffic no matter the gap. But I am captain slow on my bike :P my fear again is all it would take is one of the cars not to be aware of you and swerve for a pot hole. I would have waiting for the car to pass first. What are you thoughts?

Well in my eyes if i was in traffic on that road i would be thankfull that roads people made me a special overtaking lane just for me. I agree that the van was in

the wrong but my personal choice is to just let morons go on there way. It takes nothing from me just to roll off for a second and make gap bigger for them to pass. And like wise car drivers with bikes behind.

Well in my eyes if i was in traffic on that road i would be thankfull that roads people made me a special overtaking lane just for me. I agree that the van was in

the wrong but my personal choice is to just let morons go on there way. It takes nothing from me just to roll off for a second and make gap bigger for them to pass. And like wise car drivers with bikes behind.

Fair point, and I suppose I agree

If I was on my bike and the two bikes were cars I'd have overtaken the first one, let the oncoming van pass then overtaken the second... If I was driving a car and a bike overtook me with the oncoming van I'd think he was riding like an idiot.

Contour does look good. Does that side mount as well?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online