spark boot resistance

dt502001
This post is 4153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My wr is being a pig to start cold,valve clearence fine, carb cleaned and set,new spark plug x2.

I have read the factory manual cover to cover and no mention of the spark plug boot resistance,I'm getting 11k ohm readings and thinking its to high should be around 5 k IMO.

Anyone know what it should be?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks thats what I thought,I took the resistor out and put a bolt in all is good now, just have to find a new after market boot ,not paying 70.00 bucks for a stoick one

How much..........!?!??!??

You have got to be kidding....

For a plug cap.

There about a fiver here is it special somehow..

LOL I know my chin hit the floor when the parts guy told me how much at my local yamme dealer,I asked if it came with the coil,nope just the cap.For 70 it should be made of gold

It's special in the fact that it has a rubber seal to keep dirt out of the deep hole the plug sits in and so far i cant find a ngk replacement might just buy another cap and remove the resistor and put it in the old boot and they are in the fiver range here as well.

can you not transfer the rubber boot over?

keep it in boiling water and it should be pliable enough to ease it over any obstacles

EDIT that looks like a COP (coil in cap) so $70 is why it costs that much

Edited by drewpy

No it's not A COP drewp,and the rubber boot is all 1 piece so no way to remove and put on new.But the resistor is removable looks like a small glass tube fuse,so i went over to the wreckes and bought a boot ,well sort of brought beer I know the owner well we ride together, took the resistor out and put it in the old boot and fixed it. Got a new horn for the bandit as well so 10 bucks for a 6 pack of beer and both bikes fixed.

Except now the wr is got some crap in the carb ,got the bike running/starting right and the pipe at the head will glow red after running for 2-3 min,Ive cleand it 3 x( spray cleaner and blow with air) and still no good bought a new piolet jet up 1 42to45 and new pilot fuel screw still no joy. The carb is soaking in carb cleaner now and hopefully what ever is stuck in there will come free.Never had so much trouble cleaning a carb and actualy quite confused as to how it got so dirty/gumed up, the carb was drained befor winter. But somthing is making it run super lean.

The plug gap has infinate resistance (try measuring it) and the resistor in the plug cap is there for a good reason. If the resistor has failed, replace the plug cap with a good quality NGK item.

Forget Ohm's law and resistance - its not the right rule to apply to a spark plug with an air gap. :spin2:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online