Latest Disaster

Grouch
This post is 4152 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well after a few weeks of trouble free riding, today my clutch cable snapped. The worst thing was pushing my bike home 3 miles. By the time I got home I was shaking and soaked in sweat. When I phoned the garage up to order a new cable the guy couldn't believe it.

I can fit it myself, I only fit a new one about 12 months ago.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why the hell did you push it.

Ride without the clutch. Wont hurt as a get you home. I have even done it with a truck.

Plonker.....

• Like 1

bugger me grouch"o. you are doomed,, :eusa_doh: . i would heve bumpstarted it, and rode home,,, but theres very little traffic up here,

I rode my old RXS100 round for a whole month without the clutch, as I couldn't afford a new cable.

paddle away from a stop, straight upto second.

overall, you have some iffy luck.

I started to ride it but it was the school rush hour and it just kept stalling. There were too many traffic lights and junctions.

I can beat you this time Grouch, Just got back from 4 hours waiting for the AA to get me and the bike home, a small problem that became a BIG problem about 40 miles from home :madflame: , I am now doing the Grouch dance to ward off anything else that might come my way. :eusa_doh:

They never teach you USEFUL stuff at bike-school these days do they.............

My old man taught me how to ride without using the clutch back in 1980 when I got my first bike at 17 - as a get you home its a no-brainer.........even if you have to detour a few miles to avoid traffic lights/jams/school runs etc. Just means you have a longer 'play' on the bike before getting home!!!!

CT

I use a hydraulic cable oiler, those little things are not very useful as they depend on the propellant from a maintenance spray.

I use proper oil in mine :D

I use engine oil, before i put cable on bike i hang it upright and shape a small funnel out of bluetac or similar, pour oil in and leave for an hour or two till i see oil drip out at bottom & yes drewpy I have done me choke, ha ha

Is engine oil the best to use when lubing your cables? I'm seeing a mix of products that people use (WD40, GT58 etc.) but not really sure which is better.

I can beat you this time Grouch, Just got back from 4 hours waiting for the AA to get me and the bike home, a small problem that became a BIG problem about 40 miles from home :madflame: , I am now doing the Grouch dance to ward off anything else that might come my way. :eusa_doh:

Haha the Grouch Dance, hilarious.

So how do you ride without a clutch?

Once your moving its easy. With you having a leccy foot its easier. 1st gear push with your feet and the starter and you should be off.

Changing up.. Let the revs increase put pressure on the lever then reduce the throttle. The gear should happily shift up.

Coming down. Right this gets tricky. What you have to do is slow the bike down and when the revs get low. And i mean low like 3000rpm again apply pressure to the leaver and eases off the gas and again it drops down one.

The key is the throttle and revs combo. You want the gear speed to equalise the right way. Going up is easy engine speed over wheel speed. Going down its the other way, you want the engine driving the box enough to load the gears but ultimately the rear wheel driving the situation so when you close the throttle the gear slips in smoothly.

You wont break any track records but its easy once you know and a bloody site better than walking.

I have ridden and driven everything with bad clutches. A range rover. Land rover, severak motorcycles but my high point was bringing a truck back from oxford to northampton. Fitters wouldn't believe me.

It will date me to any hgv people but anybody who could make a decent job of an ERF with a twin split can drive without a clutch.

I use a hydraulic cable oiler, those little things are not very useful as they depend on the propellant from a maintenance spray.

Tommy XS

I use proper oil in minI use engine oil, before i put cable on bike i hang it upright and shape a small funnel out of bluetac or similar, pour oil in and leave for an hour or two till i see oil drip out at bottom & yes drewpy I have done me choke, ha ha

e :D

I use a combination of both. If in a hurry the Hydraulic Oiler, if restoring a bike several weeks hanging up and I use engine oil and have for years.

A clutch cable in 12 months? You wear parts out quickly....

Cheap cables.

Mine are 25years old and have never been oiled.

Shit no 32 years old

I know what's caused it, lack of lube, heavy handedness?

i think your right grouch, you don't know your own strength, it must be all that bike pushing you've been doing.

SUPER GROUCH!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online